Chapter 1 - A Sad Party of One - FTE: Satoshi, Finn

Start from the beginning

"Um." Satoshi paused as well, glancing around the room before his eyes settled back on Kenjiro. "...A-Alright."

"I'll lead the way." Kenjiro nodded. Satoshi looked back at us, causing Hidemi to give him a thumbs up and nod for him to follow. He glanced at Kenjiro, before listening to his stepsister and scrambling behind him.

"Well, at least his aesthetic isn't scaring anyone off. I'm surprised Kenjiro even offered." I said, walking over to the plate and cup of black coffee with the reserved sign and picking it up for me.

Looks like she really did remember what I said yesterday...

"I'm glad he's finally giving some of us a chance though." She finally relaxed.

Hidemi and I sat at the same table, her plate of plain toast already there waiting for her.

Ryoko isn't here today...I didn't see her sitting next to someone else either. Weird. I wonder where she is.

"Tada! It's an omelette with your favourite black coffee!" She cutely presented the dish with an enthusiastic grin. "I hope you enjoy it!"

Hidemi handed me some cutlery as I looked at the food.

"It looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to it." I said, taking a fork and picking up a piece of the omelette, placing it in my mouth and beginning to chew.

Oh...

Oh my god...

This is...

Absolutely disgusting.

My expectations of a nice breakfast made by Hidemi were instantly crushed as I almost choked.

The flavours. The textures. Heck, even the ingredients. They feel so wrong and gross! I can still feel the crunch of eggshells...

Hidemi made herself sound like such a good cook. I guess it's my fault for believing her.

"So? How is it?" She clasped her hands together and smiled yet again. "I know I'm not the best, but it must be good with how silent you're being."

She's...oblivious?!?

Hidemi seriously thinks she's a good cook. That's going to be a pain. How do I tell her this is garbage?

I force myself to swallow the piece of omelette, about to sweat from the about of force and grossness in my mouth. My head slowly and hesitantly turned to face hers.

No...I can't tell her. She's absolutely beaming. Telling her the truth would just crush her.

Guess I'm going to have to lie.

"It's..." I gave her a thumbs up and a grin through gritted teeth. "It's g-great!"

"Oh, that's perfect!" Hidemi noticed me drop my cutlery and stand up, picking up the plate. "Huh? Aren't you going to have any more?"

"U-Uh..." I remembered how Satoshi didn't have any food and quickly made an excuse. "I'm not that hungry! And I'm sure Satoshi is starving...So I'll just give it to him! He's got no food anyway."

"But...are you sure?"

"Of course! I'm not that hungry anyway." I continued to lie.

"Well, how about I make you breakfast tomorrow? Or every day from now on?" Hidemi offered.

"Nah. I don't want you waking up so early all the time. I can live on boring toast, it's no big deal." I reassured her.

"Well, if you say so..."

With the plate in hand, I walked over to the table at the opposite end of the dining hall where Satoshi and Kenjiro sat. I set the plate down, took a free seat in front of them and slid the dish towards Satoshi.