Chapter 6 : Mom

I sigh as I watch my children move into their new home. Richard was kind enough to take my family in after Davon's deeds.

Reduced to watching them through a screen, I find comfort in knowing they are close.

If only Annie could be there too, my mind would be at ease, but she is not. I sigh. Richard sent her away while they put me in a coma to protect me.

Since Davon was looking for her, sending her away was the better outcome. Richard made the decision and I trust him. We always made contingency plans and he knew what my wishes were for my family. In the end, he's loyal to me and everything he did was almost what I would have chosen. The only thing I disagree with is the lack of cameras in her bedroom. She spends so much time there that I might miss the crucial details in her behavior. There is no way to know how long the spell will keep her wolf in that cage.

She is a creature like Davon, a strong one, and a perfect match for his devious plans.

This devious creature is always plotting and seeking control. Couldn't he leave us alone? We left a long time ago. How could he know about the beast inside her, or is he just looking for her to bring me back in exchange?

It all started the day I met my husband.

Memories of happier days wander through my mind, taking me back to a younger me.

╔═.✵.══════════╗

Isabella, Annie's mother.

╚══════════.✵.═╝

Our town was quite peaceful. We come from a long line. The purebloods, as they like to call us, our magic or wolves are stronger, and because of that we have a good life, because the caste system is determined by blood and strength.

"Lola, stop looking everywhere as if you were here for the first time. We have to find my dress.

Lola is a little wolf at my service. I killed the last one by mistake. Nora, my witch servant, died because of my magic.

╔═.✵.══════════╗

Nora's death

╚══════════.✵.═╝

Today Dad left earlier than before. He used to do this twice a year. No one told me about this until my sixteenth birthday. That was when I was told about my duties to the empire. It seemed unfair. Boys had many jobs to choose from and shine in, while I was to be cast into the breeding department. That was what they expected of a woman with my abilities. They even got to go to nice gatherings like this one. I had missed the first one due to lack of preparation. This time, I was ready to witness the Red Moon event.

It was a big secret that no one could talk about. Only men and mated women over the age of sixteen could attend with an invitation. I was sixteen and a half, but they hadn't mated me and wouldn't force me until my seventeenth anniversary, and I didn't want to wait that long.

"Hush, hurry," I urged her, pushing her down the ladder I had made with rope. "We're going to miss it! Hurry!" The red moon was higher in the sky.

"Come on, Isabella, if this is just a werewolf event, there must be a reason!" Nora argued as I pulled her into the forest.

Curiosity was at its peak, but I didn't have the courage to go alone.

"They just don't want to be overcrowded when the werewolves do their first mutation, but there are only two of us. What harm can we do?" I walked faster towards the place.

Nora pulled me back a bit.
"Isabella, don't you think it's strange to see so many servants in the forest?" She pointed to the trees where the servants were hiding.