Chapter 5 : Surprise, surprise

Hope you enjoy this chapter! XD

╔══════════╗
Because we are stronger
When we face our fears...
MJ1
╚══════════╝

Annie POV

I'm still out of breath, but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed at his attitude. After all, someone almost attacked me back there. If he hadn't made it in time, I dread to think what would have happened.

With my hand between my feet, I grab my purse and fight over its contents, trying to find my inhaler. I never seem to find anything when I need it most. After agonizing minutes of struggle, I find it and finally inhale the medication.

Relief washes over me as I put my hand to my chest.

As if I had done something ridiculous, he looks at me with his big hazelnut eyes and grabs my face again before I can pull away.

"What's that thing?"

I jerk to the side and slap his hand away, glaring at him.

"It's called an inhaler, genius. Those are medications."
I finish, happy to notice that my voice has returned to normal and my shakiness has subsided.

His pupils dilate as if he doubts my answer, but he remains silent, clenching his jaw.

Angered by the mockery of his attitude, I turn my face away, only to grab my stomach and try to muffle the sound coming from it.

A sandwich lands on my knees, catching me off guard. Nodding silently, I devour it without even looking back at him.

--- // -------

After a long silence, I felt bored. The fact was that I didn't know anything about this guy and we were going to share the same room for a few years. Worse, if Mom turned the page, he would become my sibling, and I didn't like the thought of that.

Only time would tell, but I knew that moving in with this Richard meant a lot to her.

Bitterness and sadness were brewing inside. I knew it. It was inevitable after so long. After all, Dad had left five years ago. There was no way to know if he was still alive.

"I acted like an idiot earlier," he said as he sighed uncomfortably, bringing me back to reality. "Can we start over?" He asked.

Seriously? that was his most mature response. I was expecting something more elaborate after acting like an idiot earlier.

His hand found its way to the back of his head and scratched it.

"Well, as I said, we got off to an inauspicious start. Since we are going to spend a considerable amount of time as roommates, we should at least know the basics." He looked in my direction and I nodded in response, eager to know more. "My nickname is Tom, but my ral name is Thomas, and I hate it because it means innocent and naive. I am 20 and will be attending Grey-hill College. I hope to have a great time with you as my roommate and make great memories while we live there.

My head hurts, the words fueling my anxiety, forming a pit in my stomach and making my hands tremble. I squeeze them together to hide my reluctance, but the words keep spinning: living together, roommates, making memories together, and for a few years. It all seems so planned for me, as if all I have to do is be there and follow what Mom decides, but what about me and what I want? So far I have always agreed to follow her lead for the sake of my siblings, but who would benefit from that now?