chapter 21: Deliverance

╔═.✵.══════════╗
Just a thought for this chapter:
Because sometimes, one must
be willing to change.
MJ
╚══════════.✵.═╝
.

.

Completely caught up with the sight around and the feeling of freedom shuddering thought the wolf's form, I am transported into a new reality. Gosh, it feels good. The wind caresses my face and my heart races, but it is not fear or anxiety, it is pure joy. Leah took away the heavy burden of my sorrows and fears burdening me as a human, my mind was in peace for the first time since forever.

Nature brushing her fur as we run, sometimes she knocked a tree, but soon she got the hang of her body gaining in speed. All I can do is watch through her eyes and her through her ears. She is in control, but for once I don't care. The sounds are clearer and her sight has a lower colour quality, but she can see further away and textures are vivid. Our destination is unknown and again, I don't care, too endowed into the bliss of the run.

Finally, fatigue wears her out. She takes a break near a lake, drinking the cool water.

This place is beautiful. Trees surround the lake, their roots lingering in the water for a sip. Animals nest in between the roots sheltered from mother nature. It's mesmerizing. The water mirrors the trees forms with what is left of their leaves and the blue sky.

Leah looks directly into the water, finally letting me grasp the reflection of this new body sheltering my soul. Blue is no longer the predominant colour. Gray takes over as we switch sides. It seems just like our bodies, our eyes switched. Her coat is pure white, it looks puffy and comfy making me wish I had hands to get them through her fur.

She moves her head, making me lose the sight. Will I get used to this? Having no control over the movements of her wolf form. Doubt fills my mind, reminding me of Phil and Tom's worries. Leah is a wolf and should she set her mind on evil deeds, I won't be able to make her submit.

At that moment, my vision turns into shades of gray like in vintage movies. The color washed away the moment my apprehensions began.

Brought back to reality by the coldness that overcomes me, I look again. She is running into the glacial lake, reminding me that autumn is almost over. The sight of the vegetation under the water hypnotizes me.

The water is crystal clear in the middle of the lake. Fish swim under the vegetation. Hypnotized, I forget my apprehensions revealing the fish's colours. The fish glowing in the daylight swim around us.

Amused, I laughed at the feel of their fins around my face.

As I relaxed again, the colours of my surroundings become brighter and with better definition than my human sight. Puzzled, I wonder if this is because I am enjoying the moment. My emotions seem to influence my vision just like they do with magic, but this time, I have to let them flow instead of controlling or shutting them out. I need to live them.

We then rested at the edge of the lake under a sunny beam of light drying her white fur.

"Is this what it's like to be a wolf?" I ask Leah.

"I guess so. Should I remind you that this is my first time, also? I was stuck inside you, caged, with no way out." Leah's affirmation twitches something inside me.

Was I to blame for it when I was oblivious to her existence? Was she blaming me? But then again who was responsable for all this mess?Disregarding it, I switch the subject instead.
"By the way, who picked your name? Since no one knew she was there, who did?"

"I chose for myself."

"The name you gave yourself? So you were conscious even before anyone knew you were there?" Realizing there's more of a backstory, my curiosity peaked.