Chapter 8 : Opposites attract

═════════════╗
Secrets, should they be counted as betrayal?
It's  a matter of time.
The truth will come out.
Should Annie fight for the truth or give in?
MJ1
╚════════════╝

Vote ⭐, comment + ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ

Annie POV

I lie half-awake on my new bed, trying to make sense of the few words that reach my ears. Magic, danger, warning. I rub my face against my new pillow, trying to make sense of it all.

Then I hear my name. My curiosity has been aroused to the point of disregarding common courtesy. I stand on my tiptoes and slowly open the door to eavesdrop.

"But how can you ask that? You haven't seen her. Does she know what she is? She's out of control... "

I stop breathing, my mind goes numb.

"Why can't we explain everything to her? I can't protect her from herself. She's a danger to everyone."

  My stress level goes through the roof. Does this have something to do with his episode last night? I put it out of my mind, how could it? Magic doesn't exist. I cross my arms around my torso, trying to hide my pounding heart. What am I missing?

"Annie?" a voice calls out to me.

I jump away from the door and slowly emerge from my hiding place like a child who has been caught doing something naughty.

"Hi, what time is it?" I ask, trying to save my honor, knowing full well that I shouldn't be eavesdropping on this conversation. It's not usually like me, but I couldn't help it after hearing my name.

He points at the phone next to his ear. I nod with a fake smile on my face, aware that I am blushing.

With an awkward motion, I point my finger in the direction of the kitchen. Drama is obviously not my major and never will be, I am a bad actress.

"All right, I said I'll do my best and take care of it." His voice seems annoyed, like he wants to shut down the communication, but the person on the other side is still shoveling her opinion over his. "Huh." The sound alone proved me right.

Still, 'I'll take care of it,' I close my fists. My grumpy stomach doesn't help to keep my emotions in check. They boil on the surface, a lump in my throat fighting to get out.

"Uh-hum," Tom struggles to keep his cool. I know how hard it is to speak up sometimes, having used the same sounds many times with my mother and her constant nagging. To my amazement, there is nothing in the refrigerator but some juice, soda and alcohol.

"I said it's okay! Dad..." His annoyed tone mirrors my feelings about the contents of his fridge. My hands tremble, this isn't like me, but then again I'm not at home and this refrigerator was proof of that. How could my own mother rip me away from my family and her existence without blinking an eye? Two nights before, I had my whole life planned out, and she turned my life upside down in the blink of an eye. Richard, the man, her boss, had turned my mother against me. He brainwashed her and disposed of her children like he did his own. You only had to open the refrigerator to know. He was abandoned and I was just being nice with that thought.

In a second, I walk toward him, taking long strides without thinking much.
"Tell him to put my mom on the phone. I want to talk to her."
My firm voice surprised even me. This wasn't like me, but then again, who was to blame? Certainly not me. This luxurious apartment didn't make up for the inconvenience. I could live in a hole as long as I was surrounded by my family, but I wasn't.