Chapter 14 : Suspicion

╔═.✵.══════════╗
The truth will change
her life forever.
╚══════════.✵.═╝
╔═.✵.══════════╗
TOM
╚══════════.✵.═╝

Magic leaves ripples and any tracer could find them. Annie was a ticking time bomb without knowing, she was about to attract attention. The kind of attention the council avoided at all costs. Which meant they were willing to sacrifice anyone if it meant saving the clan.

Everyone was afraid of Davon. Even though I'd never met him, even my father feared him. That was enough for me. After all, if such a strong beast could tremble in fear just by hearing his name, that was bad. I mean, he was so cruel, and even with me, his son, he knew neither mercy nor second chances. But Davon was everywhere in our history books. His existence was one of the many enigmas I was trying to solve.

Now there was Annie, like a child, rippling magic whenever she was overwhelmed by emotion. Which was strange in itself. She was old enough for her magic to be erased or controlled, but here she was, oblivious to it all, exposing our species and I was supposed to protect her.

Well I had to keep an eye on her, but her existence was too interesting. I mean, a person with her powers is supposed to have her memories wiped or be brainwashed, and this wasn't the case. Yet here she was, safe and sound being her own person and with her gifts intact.

I look up at the sky. The guys took the girls home. Who could blame them? They ended up throwing up and splattering their expensive clothes.

Stretching and moving around the grass, I press my inner elbow to my eyes. To hell with classes, if Annie wasn't there, there was no point in going. After all, if I was here, it was because of her. So was Lina. We'd never be allowed to study and have a human career. After all, we already had our duties to the clan and that was probably the only reason I was alive. Dreams ans love  were only for humans, not magical creatures. On this side or the other, happiness doesn't exist.

Annie's image lingers in my mind.

My chest stops moving for a split second, just enough to keep my emotions in check. Annie has awakened this side of me that I thought was dead. Since her arrival, I've changed. Mornings are no longer so grim and monotonous. She's like this unexpected gift I've received. Just thinking about her makes my heart race. She's a forbidden fruit I can't have.

My chest sinks.

Yes, Lina was exactly the right person for the job. I was already losing enough control to restrict my magic and keep Annie's ripples hidden from the coven. The club was a task in its own right, I could barely manage on my own. I was lucky to have evaporated all the alcohol in those drinks. Today was different; if Lina hadn't been here today, we'd have had an unwanted visit. Her magic is getting stronger and stronger.

Now I can only wonder how Lina's lesson with Annie is going. How strong is she really and how suppressed is her magic?

One thing's for sure. She's one of a kind.

╔═.✵.══════════╗
ANNIE
╚══════════.✵.═╝

A month and a half had already passed, and in that time, the strangeness became ordinary.

I look at the chandelier over the dining table holding my head's weight over the top back of the chair.

Performing spells was getting easier, how to block my empath powers also wasn't as tedious, but the counterattacks were proving to be difficult. Lina says it is a matter of time before I am called for duty since every person possessing powers needs to serve the council. It is the price of magic.