chapter 20 : In the open

The birds are quiet, only the sound of the wind comes to my ears, unless it's my breath that I am hearing.

One thing is certain, I will not run away, and I will not show my fear. If I have to die, it will be with dignity. It's decided, I will put all my skills in the test. 

I walk backwards, keeping my eyes on the beast.

Tom peers into my eyes with intensity, but remains at the doorway's side, letting us pass besides him out of the cabin. I look at him with deadly eyes. His definition of surprise needs to be redefine.

A few meters of clearing separates me from the forest where I can seek refuge. The environment will give me an advantage.

Wolves are immune to magic spells, it can't hold them forever and wiches suck at close range combat. These reasons are enough to make them comply and cooperate with them. Lina also known them for being unmerciful when face to a weak opponent. She always praised me and thought I could become a formidable opponent with due time and practice. It was time to put her theory to the test.

Blinking, I look at the wolfs movements. It's studying me, it's holding on. My feet take another step back and the beast growls in a warning. The fight is gonna happen here. In a swift movement, the animal launches at me. Gesturing with my hand, rocks fly towards the beast, making it lose a second to dodge the projectiles protecting its eyes.

That move gave me enough time to fill my lungs with air to the maximum, exhaling I use it to make a breeze to push the animal back into the cabin. Its paws falter and it walks backwards under the pressure. Dried leaves, pines cones and tiny branches brush my face. The hair tied on top of my head won't hold, just like my spell. The wolf is already adjusting and walking forward.

It's just slowing it downs, steadily, it's closing the gap between us. My heart skips a beat. I have no other training. All I can do is to retreat.

The gentle breeze turns into fierce whirlwinds, following the movements of my rotating hands. It carries me to a high branch of a mature tree. "Not bad," I smile.

The beast is unhappy, jumping up, trying to grab me, but I'm too high for it to reach. Smarter than expected, it uses its claws to climb the tree, but its hind paws are too weak for it to climb, causing it to fall.

"Tom, don't just stand there like
like this is normal because it's not!" I pout while he walks with a nonchalant pace. He is obviously unimpressed with what happened so far, showing how devious and cunning he can be.
"What is that thing? It's not a wolf, it's not a bear. It's as big as a bear but it looks like a wolf. What is that thing?" I ask him pointing the thing below that is pacing around the tree.

"Okay Philip, you can turn back again. You won't be able to take her down in this form anyway. She is smart, you need to give her credit for that. Let's get things rolling. " the beast twitches its ears and turns his body to Tom.

What the hell is going on? That was a praise in disguise, he was obviously waiting for a nerve racking reaction.

Before my incredulous eyes, the animal' bones tremble, its fur melting into its skin. It was shrinking, with horrible cracking bones sounds piercing the air. Blood dries in my body.

It sounded painful, I forgot to breathe.

Finally, in front of me, there is nothing but a young man squatting completely naked. Tom throws a towel that seems to come from nowhere in his direction.

Phil covers himself, wraps it around his lower half and stands up next to Tom, turning to face me.

At the same time, the adrenaline leaving my body makes me shake and lose my balance. I cling to the tree, but it's futile, I have no more energy left.