❤︎ʀɪɴɢ❤︎

𝕿he next few days after Halloween went by quickly, Sirius and I were at each other's throats again after what he said at the party that night

𝕿he next few days after Halloween went by quickly, Sirius and I were at each other's throats again after what he said at the party that night. It was November 3rd, and I had been informed by Remus that it was Sirius' birthday on that day, although throughout the morning the boy didn't seem as excited and happy as I thought he was going to be. Sirius is the type of person you would expect to be giddy and childish on his birthday not morbid and dull. I inspected him as we sat in Transfiguration together, leaning back on his seat and staring off into space. It was extremely weird behaviour, even for him.

"You're staring, Beaufort" He mumbled, not sparing a glance towards me and rather kept his eyes trained forward.

"I am quite aware" I mumbled back, twirling my hair around my finger and pondering for a few moments. "You don't like your birthday because it reminds you of everything you don't have"

"What?" He whispered, parting his lips as he turned to face me, something distant in his grey eyes, "You don't understand-"

"I don't understand your situation at home but I do understand the feeling of wanting something you can't have and it's constantly etched into your brain throughout your birthday that the one thing you wish you could have, you won't have it when your dreams are meant to come true when you blow out the candles" I murmured, flickering my eyes between his. He just stared at me, ignoring the lesson and scanning over my face.

I swallowed slightly, wrinkling my nose, "I got you something. I didn't know it was your birthday until a few days ago and I didn't have much time to get you something proper. Plus there's the point you hate me so I have no idea what you actually like- anyway, here.." I explained quietly, handing him a small box out of my robes. It was nothing special like I said, I had got him a ring with the citrine birth stone as it's November, the stone engraved in the shape of a star. The meaning of citrine is joy, prosperity and energy. I thought it would be a nice collection to his rings that he wore on his fingers.

Sirius opened the box, revealing a ring with his birthstone engraved into the shape of a star in the middle of it. He gulped, examining it for a few seconds, his heart stopping beating for a few beats. The golden haired girl that he had never got along with, went out of her way to buy him a birthday gift, that looked pretty expensive to him, when she only figured out it was his birthday a few days ago. He felt an odd sort of feeling in his stomach, sliding the ring on to his finger, a perfect fit. No one had ever bought him something so personal and fitting before, sure the boys had bought him gifts before, band tshirts, sweets, cologne but no one had ever bought him something like she did.

"If you don't like it you can-"

"No, I like it. Thank you" He cut me off, lifting his head up with a small smile on his face, until he frowned faintly, "Why?"

"Why did I buy you a present? It's your birthday Sirius, we may not get along but I'd always buy you a birthday present. It's just bitter not to" I waved him off, with a shrug. "It uh, it's associated with positivity and optimism and Godric do you need it, you look like you've been locked in Azkaban for twelve years"