Chapter 40 - Ryder

Lacey didn't show up at school today. I had naturally wanted to check on her this morning, but the anger I had felt when I learnt that she was not only engaged to Dane but pregnant by Saint still lingered. I don't know if I can call it anger or sheer jealousy. I couldn't fool myself any longer, I loved Lacey, and as much as the news had devastated me, I still wanted her to be a part of her life. Anyway, she would have me. Like Saint, I didn't know how to deal with my complex emotions regarding the petite raven-haired beauty. She was all I could think about. The guys and I had discussed at length today the video of Lacey. We were now all on board with uncovering the truth of it, for better or worse. Saint had been withdrawn all day, the shock of Lacey's announcement no doubt weighing heavy on him. He scarcely spoke a word unless we were talking about the video. We had decided that we would seek Lyndsay out at the party being held at my place this weekend to uncover the truth. The more I thought about it, the less sense it made. The idea of it not being consensual had bile rising in the back of my throat. I would tear anyone who dares touch Lacey without her express permission limb from limb and then piss on their body. I may be an asshole, but I would never force myself on a girl and despise anyone who did. If Lyndsay had anything to do with the video, her days would also be numbered. Speak of the devil, and they shall appear, I think cynically, as Lyndsay approaches our table in the cafeteria with her posse in tow.

"Hey, Ry. I am looking forward to the party this weekend," she purrs as she paws at my body. "I am looking forward to spending time with you, if you know what I mean". Her friends laugh knowingly at her comment, pulling their skirts higher and batting their eyelashes at us as if we would give them the time of day. "Be careful what you wish for", Lawson warns with a deadly tone. "I am sure you could make our time enjoyable, just not how you think", he continues. Lawson is sure that Lacey was raped and that Lyndsay had something to do with it. And I know what he would love to do to Lyndsay if he had it his way. "Eew, I am not talking to you, asshole", Lyndsay sneers at Lawson. "Watch your mouth Lyndsay" I reply through gritted teeth. "Whatever you say, Ry. See you later, stud", she smilingly responds with an air kiss that leaves my skin crawling. "Why do you put up with her," West asks from across the table. "I am playing nice West because we need her at the party on the weekend, not to scare her away before we can get the answers we want. I need access to her phone", I snap. "I think I owe Lace an apology," Saint says solemnly, changing the subject. "You owe her more than an apology Saint" Lawson replies between bites of his sandwich. "Wifey deserves the world, and it was unacceptable how you treated her yesterday", he continues, pinning Saint with an angry scowl. "I know. My behaviour was out of line. I just hope she will talk to me this afternoon. I want to try and make things right with her", Saint counters sadly. I feel for the guy; I can't imagine what he is going through. "I think we all need to apologise to Lacey and make things right with her. It is killing me not being able to hold her in my arms", West states. "Why don't you all come over to our house this afternoon, and we can talk to her. Maybe we can surprise her with dinner or something", I suggest hopefully. I know in my heart that I will be the last person that Lacey forgives for everything I have said and done to her, but I hope that she can find it in her heart to do so. The guys are right. She deserves the world. I want to clear the air with her more than ever and start over. All the guys agree to my plan, and for the first time in weeks, we are all happy and are on the same page. We plan to stop at the grocery store after school to buy ingredients and bouquets of flowers as a peace offering.

When the final bell sounds to signal the end of the day, I make my way down the hall towards the front parking lot. Before I reach the doors, there is suddenly a loud uproar behind me, and when I turn, I see why. Mr Marone is handcuffed, his hands bound tightly behind his back, and he is being escorted out of the school by four police officers. "Wonder what that is about", West laughs from beside me. "He probably propositioned the wrong student. Not everyone is as eager as Lyndsay to ride his cock" I reply sarcastically with a laugh. As they pass by us, Mr Marone is suddenly tackled to the ground.