Chapter 27 - Lacey

Waking up early Sunday morning, I can't help staring at the boy beside me. Lawson was so attractive that I found myself clenching my thighs together in frustration the more I allowed my eyes to roam of his toned, tattooed physique. He was so handsome but not in the classical boy next door way. No Lawson was more of the crazy boy who lived on the wrong side of the tracks that every girl fantasied about but was too shy to approach. If only they knew that under his crazy exterior, there was a sweet young man. A broken one, but lovely nonetheless. I was horrified last night when I had opened my door and seen that he had been cutting himself. I didn't realise that he was a self-harmer, and when I had first seen the blade and the blood, my heart broke for him. I knew what it was like to feel so broken and helpless but had never resorted to self-harm, so I knew that his mind must be in a dark place right now. Even though I didn't know if Lawson had any part in the release of the video of me being raped, I couldn't stand watching over the last week how he had withdrawn into himself, so I would offer him any small comfort that I could, even if we weren't currently friends. I wasn't a callous person, nor would I allow my horrible life experiences to shape how I treated others.

I can't help myself when he shifts in his sleep, his bright pink hair falling over his handsome face. I tentatively reach up, brushing the stray neon locks of hair out of his eyes and watch as he makes an adorable pouting face. Running my fingers down his cheek, I am surprised when he catches my hand in his larger one, kissing my knuckles softly as he says "Kitten" in a raspy sleep voice. Not wanting to wake him, I gently remove my hand from his and creep slowly out of bed. When he doesn't stir, I head to my ensuite and turn the shower on. When I am scrubbed from head to toe and feeling slightly more human, I shut the water off and step out of the shower. Once the noise of the running water is gone, I hear angry, raised voices in my bedroom but by the time I hastily dress; my room is empty.

Sighing, I didn't give the commotion another thought as excitement started to creep in over the thought of my car arriving today. From the paperwork left in my room before my father left, it was a black 2022 BMW g30. The pictures in the brochure showed a sleek, sexy, black beast. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. The six-figure price tag made me feel guilty but looking around me I soon realised it was probably chump change to this family, and I wasn't about to object to driving something as phenomenal as a g30. I was so excited that I sent Matt a text.

Me: What are you up to today?

Matt: Nothing I can't get out of. Why? *winking face emoji

Me: My new car arrives in an hour, want to go driving with me? *smiling face emoji

Matt: Sure, I will be there in 10 *smiling face emoji

Grabbing my purse, I race downstairs to find something to eat before Matt arrives, so overjoyed at the prospect of driving to care if Ryder was even home. The house was quiet after the angry voices earlier, so I assumed that he had left already. Rummaging in the refrigerator, I pull out cold meat and salad and start making myself a sandwich. Before putting everything away, I decide to make Matt one, sit at the island counter, and start eating mine while I wait for him. It isn't long until the doorbell rings. "Come in", I call out, knowing that it could only be Matt. A few seconds later, Matt's handsome face comes into view, and I grin at him as I offer him the sandwich. "For me?" he asks with a returning grin of his own. "Only if you haven't eaten already, I guess", I reply, suddenly feeling stupid for assuming he would want one. To my delight, he sits down beside me and starts to eat the sandwich, his grin firmly in place as we eat in silence. "That's the best turkey sandwich I have ever eaten," Matt says when he is finished, rising from his seat to rinse the plate in the sink. "If it sucked, you can say so. I am so terrible at cooking that I can even burn water. I have never really had any ingredients to work with before, though I'm sure a sandwich can't be too terrible, can it? It only requires stacking the filling after all," I ramble. "Lacey, stop. The sandwich was fine. I would love anything you made me, honestly. Not because of what it is but because you are so sweet and always think of others. I don't think I have ever met someone as strong, funny, determined and kind as you. It is why I am so drawn to you," Matt continues, making me blush a deep red and choke on the last bite of my food. Matt gently pats me on the back before handing me a bottle of water from the fridge. "Thank you", I reply gratefully after my coughing fit ends.