Chapter 6 - Lacey

First thing I do Friday morning is check my mobile phone, feeling guilty for the way the guys had replied not merely to Matt but also to Dane who I had left on read. Before I get a chance to open my text messages my phone beeps loudly and the chat that I left last right pops up on my screen from the guys, obviously I had been added to the group chat once more.

Rolling my eyes, I open it up and read through the messages. As infuriating as they were I couldn't help but admit to myself that I kind of liked the attention from them, even if they were making the start of my schooling at Saint Gabrielle a nightmare due to jealousy and the constant fights Lawson picked with the male population.

Oh, and I can't forget the female population. How could I possibly forget that half the females now despised me due to the guy's personal obsession with the new girl, me, that they believed was lower than a piece of gum on the bottom of their fancy Louboutins.

*Lacey has been added to the chat

Saint: eye roll emoji.

Lawson: Morning kitten xx

West: Stop trying to frighten Lacey away by being so intense

Ryder: Morning baby girl. I hope you are up and getting ready for school.

Lawson: Need me to come over and help you get dressed kitten?

Saint: Reminder, she has a boyfriend Lawson.

Lawson: Dah, me

West: No, she doesn't.

Ryder: No, Lacey doesn't.

West: Wait, do you have a boyfriend Lacey?

Saint: Of course she does, or he wouldn't be her screen saver or be sending her dick pics.

Ryder: *angry face emoji

West: *eye roll emoji

Saint: I am done with this childish bullshit, see you guys at school.

*Saint has left the chat

*Saint has been added to the chat

Lawson: Don't be such a grumpy asshole on the chat with wifey Saint.

Ryder: Lacey be ready in 10 minutes or I am carrying you out however you are dressed.

Lawson: My offer still stands kitten *wink emoji *eggplant emoji *peach emoji *moisture emoji *ring emoji

West: See you at school beautiful.

*Lacey has left the chat

*Lacey has been added to the chat

Ryder: Stop leaving the chat Lace *exasperated emoji

Ryder: You now have five minutes, or I will let Lawson come over to get you ready

Lawson: *fist pump emoji *high five emoji. I can be there in under two minutes.

West: Not fair Ryder!! *Pouting emoji

Tossing my mobile phone to the bed, I skip having a morning shower and hastily throw on my ridiculous uniform. Quickly twisting my long raven hair into a messy bun, I apply a small amount of lip gloss and mascara. I'm tugging on my black converse high tops over my white knee-high socks when my bedroom door bursts open to reveal Ryder standing there with two travel mugs of what smells like delicious coffee.

Overlooking the key fact that he just barged in I let out a small sigh, resigned to the fact that I needed to try and put aside everything that went down with the guys yesterday in an conscious effort to move forward. Besides, how could I stay mad at Ryder when he was smiling so sweetly at me right now? Like I hung the moon. Oh, and the fact that he had coffee. Coffee consistently put me in a good mood. Luckily for him. And his damn friends.

By the end of the day, the sole thing I could think about was thank goodness the week had come to an end at last. Don't ask me how my day was, I will just reply same shit, different day. It was rather exhausting having to deal with Ryder and his merry band of friends and everything that typically came with being around them. Or more specifically, them not seeming to be capable of willingly leaving me alone.

Infuriatingly, not even a toilet break at school was able to be taken in peace. And if you thought they would let up about me going on a date with Matt, you would be sadly mistaken. It was the sole topic amongst them all day. Well almost all of them. Saint was his usual asshat self and typically spent ample time glaring at me like I had two heads. Unpleasant ones at that apparently. I almost felt like thanking him when he promptly told Ryder off for trying to interfere unduly with my dating life though. That was until he said I deserved a loser like Matt if I was indeed considering going through with the date. Me merely existing ticked the guy off. Go figure.

Choosing to ignore Ryder and his dick friends I showered early and prepared for my date with Matt. I was excited and sad at the same time. The complex emotions causing me to feel equal parts giddy and sick. Giddy because a good-looking, nice guy even had the balls to ask me out after Ryder and co had already beaten him up several times and sick because it felt like a profound betrayal to Dane.

Examining my reflection in the mirror, I had to admit that I looked hot. I had decided to wear one of the gorgeous dresses that had been purchased for me from my overflowing walk in closets. Something I still couldn't get my head around, I wasn't used to not having to wash and typically re-wear clothes every second day or own anything that wasn't stained, ripped or ill fitting.

No matter how strange it was, it unquestionably made my day-to-day life easier. I didn't suffer the added stress from not being able to afford washing powder or worry if the power was going to be connected to even use the washer. And forget about having a dryer, that was a rare luxury we had never been able to afford at my mothers. Clothes either dried on the clothes line or you wore them wet.

Twirling around in the cute little ruffled black dress that fell to my knees, I stopped instantly on the second rotation when I noticed Ryder standing in my doorway, narrowed eyes assessing me in a calculating way. "Where do you think you are going Lace?", he said in a deadly whisper, clearly unable to conceal his displeasure that I was disregarding his wishes. "Matt will be here in five minutes to pick me up Ryder. You know that," I huffed back, naturally trying to be braver than I genuinely felt standing up to my new, ridiculously hot stepbrother.

Stupid hot facial structure. One that was currently turning a subtle shade of red as the raw anger radiated from him. I have zero ideas what his specific problem was and wondered if he had anger issues. I made a mental note to ask my father about it the next time he was home. Once again, he was away on business. Leaving me alone with Ryder for the weekend. I had a feeling that this was how my life would be now but knew bringing myself up here was a hell of a lot better than being dragged up with my mother and step monster.

Ryder didn't say anything else. He merely watched me as I grabbed my purse, tracking my movement with his narrowed eyes. His stance looked relaxed but the muscle clenching in his jaw was a dead giveaway. I hadn't known Ryder long but could already read his demeanor. Carefully taking one last look at my stepbrother before I grabbed my cardigan and headed out the front door.

Nervous butterflies started to make their presence known in the pit of my stomach with each step I took towards Matt who was leaning against his car, the biggest grin threatening to split his face in two. Matt was classically handsome. Tall, broad shoulders, dirty blonde hair with blue eyes. When he smiled, he had adorable dimples in his cheeks which would make any woman swoon. I was on the fence about Matt. I found him attractive but wasn't certain if I wanted to be anything more than just friends with him. Lord knows I could absolutely use a friend right now. Someone in my court. Not that I wouldn't be fine on my own, it was just that it would be pleasant to have someone who actually cared about me.

Only time would tell if he proved to be an ally or just another guy trying to get into my pants. I dearly hoped ut was the former. Shaking off my thoughts, I tucked a stary piece of hair behind my ear as I approached him and waved shyly in greeting. "Hi Matt"."Hi Lacey. How are you today? Is the dragon that guards you home," he asked with a chuckle. "If you are referring to Ryder, yes my stepbrother is home and he isn't happy. I think we should get going before he storms out the front door and hauls me back inside the house," I reply promptly with a nervous laugh, already regretting agreeing to this date. Undoubtedly Ryder will make the rest of my weekend a nightmare. Not to mention the retribution most likely heading Matt's way for going against Ryder and his friends, still pursuing me even after being beaten up several times by Lawson.

I had to admit, I admired that about Matt. He didn't give up even when he knew it was going to cost him. He reminded me of Dane in that regard. He had never once given up on me. Even now. The thought caused me to feel like the biggest asshole in the world. Matt must have noticed my change of mood as he hurried around to the passenger door and opened it for me. "Ready Lacey," he politely asks, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "Thank you, Matt," I reply meekly. When Matt's eyebrows lower in confusion I laugh gently. "What for," he queries, head now cocked slightly as he looks down on me in question. "For being persistent and taking a chance on me. I have never had anyone want to know me so badly that they were willing to risk their life for the opportunity" I reply as I lower myself into the passenger seat of his luxury car.

Matt had been tight lipped about where we were going so when we pulled up out front of a fancy looking restaurant downtown I was pleasantly surprised. Matt was a complete gentleman. Opening the car door for me as well as gently pushing my chair in once we were shown to our table inside the elegant restaurant. He was a refreshing break from Ryder and the constant manhandling and decision making from him and his friends. I was sincerely hoping that by showing someone else interest that they would quickly loose the confusing obsession with me. I had my fingers and toes crossed.

It wasn't even five minutes after ordering our entrée that the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. A feeling that I was swiftly growing used to since moving in with my father. A feeling that I associated with my stepbrother. The moment Matt's eyes narrowed in evident annoyance I knew that I had hit the nail on the head. I didn't even bother turning around in my chair to look for them. By the sounds of it, the whole gang was here. Sighing I tentatively reached across the table and gave Matt's hand a gentle squeeze, letting him know that I was sorry for the unwarranted intrusion.

The gesture seemed to snap him out of the funk he was in because his dimpled smile was immediately back on his face. Behind me I heard a low growl, followed by what sounded like a scuffle. Instantly I knew that Lawson must have noticed that I was initiating physical contact with Matt and was not happy with what he was seeing.

Tough, I didn't belong to him. I didn't belong to any of them. They had no right to follow me around, man handle me and make claims against me. It was outrageous and rather caveman like in my opinion. At times like this I really wished the I was back home, at least I would be with Dane.

Sighing, I gathered a deep breath and tried to make small talk with Matt. "So, Matt. What is your favorite movie?"I asked, curious to hear his answer. Matt seemed to carefully consider my question before he spoke. "In all honesty I have not thought of that before, but I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be Fast and Furious." I laughed politely at his reply, it was so typically male that it was funny. "What's so funny Lacey," he teased goodnaturedly."What is your favorite movie then?".

"My fave movie would have to be Jaws. I love anything to do with sharks or crocodiles. Also any adaption of a Stephen King book comes a close second though" I reply, waiting for the judgement of movie my choices. Yeah yeah, I know I just judged Matt on his. To tell you the truth I was kind of a massive horror fan. Books and movies. Recently however, since I moved in with my father and was gifted a kindle, I found that I was presently a thirsty bitch for reverse harems and bully romance. Something that I never anticipated I would be into.

Matt sat opposite me with an even broader grin than he usually sported, if that was possible which had me questioning his apparent amusement. "Just didn't peg you as a horror fan. You look so innocent I naturally assumed, incorrectly, that you would be into chick flicks," he said sheepishly, shrugging his shoulder in an apologetic gesture. "Most people assume that about me. Don't get me wrong, I will happily binge read Jane Austen and have watched every book adaption a million times, but my first love will always be horror," I smilingly replied, taking a small bite of the entrée that had just been placed before me.

I had never had such delicious food, embarrassingly a moan of absolute satisfaction escaped my lips before I could reel it in. Hesitantly I sneaked a peak of Matt through my eyelashes, sincerely hoping that he hadn't heard the moan leave my lips but seeing him with his fork paused before his mouth with his eyes half closed while he took me in I knew that he had not only heard me but was apparently enthralled by the sound I had made.

Great Lacey, way to turn eating into porn I scolded myself. Just as my face started to delicately flush I was suddenly lifted out of my seat and thrown roughly over a muscled shoulder. My initial guess was Lawson because it seemed to be his signature move but when I cautiously lifted my head and wriggled in the tight hold I froze when I realized that it was in fact Saint who held me in a death grip. "What are you doing Saint? Put me down," I hissed at him through gritted teeth. How dare he do this to me? To Matt. Struggling fiercely to get out of Saint's hold I glanced towards where Matt and I had been sitting only to see him being dragged forcibly out of a side door by Ryder and Lawson.

Seeing red I tried once more to free myself, promptly kicking and punching at any body part I could encounter. "Struggling is futile Lace" Saint seethed."What is your problem with me Saint. Seriously, PUT ME DOWN." Within seconds I was released, landing heavily on my hip on the cement in the parking lot. Groaning in pain, I didn't get a chance to right myself before I was roughly yanked to my feet by Saint and dragged towards his car. "Get in. Now," he growled at me, forcing me roughly from behind to force me into his vehicle.

As soon as I had comfortably fixed my position in the car Saint snapped the seat belt across me, slammed the door shut and then made his way to the driver's seat. "Where are we going Saint? Why are you doing this," I pleaded earnestly, hopeful that he would at least give me the answers to my questions.

No such luck, his hands just tightened their fierce grip on the steering wheel until his knuckles turned white. Turning away from him I huffed a "fuck you Saint" before I turned my head and silently watched the landscape whizz by, a lone frustrated tear making its escape. I was beyond furious and so done with their outlandish, brute behavior. I couldn't put off talking to my father any longer.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE OF LACEY AND CHAPTERS WRITTEN WEEKLY PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY LEAVING ME COMMENTS OR FOLLOWING ME TO HELP WITH MOTIVATION. I AM ENJOYING WRITING THIS STORY AND HOPE THAT YOU ALSO ENJOYED READING MY OTHER STORY ON HERE, THE ALPHA TWINS REJECTION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME.