Chapter 37 - Lacey

Dane and I spend Saturday night riding his motorbike along the highway, carefree with the wind in our hair. When the sun sets, we make our way back to his apartment. “Thank you, Dane,” I whisper as we climb off his motorbike. “What for?” he asks as he takes my hand in his as we walk towards the front door. “For everything Dane. I don’t know what I would do without you,” I reply, squeezing his hand tightly in mine. “Ditto, babe”. 

Once inside, Dane instructs me to sit on the lounge and close my eyes. With nervous excitement, I do as I am told and wait patiently for whatever he is doing. “You can open your eyes, Lacey,” Dane says hesitantly. I take a deep, calming breath and then open my eyes slowly. It takes a while for my brain to comprehend what I am seeing, making Dane nervous. “I’ll understand if you say no, babe” he rushes out quickly, heat creeping up his handsome face. Before me, Dane is down on one knee, a small box nestled in his big hands. “Is this what I think it is?” I manage to squeak out, my hand flying to my mouth in astonishment. “Yes. Will you marry me, Lacey?” Dane replies nervously, his eyes pleading with me to reply. “Yes,” I reply swiftly, tears pooling in my eyes. Dane lets out a rush of air and then places the small box in my hands. Leaning forward, I place a kiss on his cheek and then open the box. I am bewildered when I find it empty until Dane holds his left hand up to my face where I can see a ring tattooed on it, the penny finally dropping.

“You want to tattoo a ring on me? How have I not noticed yours before now” I question incredulously? “I did it this morning while you were asleep,” he says sheepishly. “Presumptuous of you”, I reply with a laugh at his audacity. “I would never presume anything when it comes to you, babe. I just knew you wouldn’t be able to resist me,” Dane says with a smirk. “I don’t care if you want to explore your feelings for other men, but I want you to have my last name. That is not negotiable. I want to claim you as mine in every way possible. I will say this though, if any of them ever hurt you once they are in a relationship with you, I won’t hesitate to kill first, ask questions later,” he continues with conviction, making a shiver run down my spine at how protective he was. Pulling Dane to his feet, I wrap my arms tightly around his trim waist and kiss him until we are both panting for air. How I got so lucky to have a boyfriend, no, fiancé, I correct myself with a giggle, like this is beyond my comprehension. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world being in his arms. Dane makes me feel safe, cherished and loved, and I will spend the rest of my life making sure he feels the same.

Dane pulls away from my embrace. “Ready?” he asks with a serious expression. “Always”, I reply with a grin. Finger tattoos hurt like a bitch, but I stay as still as possible because I don’t want to ruin the design. While I know, tattoos are permanent. I will wear my engagement ring with pride. Dane takes my hand in his, carefully cleaning my ring finger with an alcohol wipe before shaving it with a razor and wiping it down. When the needled touches my skin, I grit my teeth. When Dane is finished, he has a triumphant smile as he looks down to inspect his handy work.

“It’s perfect. I love it as much as I love you, Dane,” I say, this time allowing the happy tears to leak from my eyes. Dane leans forward and kisses the tears staining my cheeks. “Rainbow dash is going to be pissed off that I beat him to putting a ring on your finger”, Dane laughs, clutching at his stomach like it is the funniest thing in the world. “He must know that we have been together forever though and that he didn’t stand a chance”, he continues, still laughing. I swat him on the shoulder playfully. “I have a feeling he will just put a ring over the top of it”, I state with a giggle, making Dane instantly stop laughing and narrow his eyes, no doubt picturing the same thing and seeing the truth in it. “Come on, big boy, let’s get some dinner and then head to bed. I want to get up early tomorrow so that I can spend as much time as possible with you before you have to take me home,” I say solemnly. “Babe, don’t be upset. We are eighteen next year. We won’t have to be apart much longer. I promise to visit you as often as possible, and I would love it if you could stay with me over the holidays.” He replies, soothing some of the hurt simmering in my soul at the prospect of having to leave him again.