Chapter 32 - Lacey

After I kick Saint out of my bedroom, unsurprisingly I can't sleep. I keep replaying our conversation over and over. His words had once again cut me deep. Why would I lie about something so personal and hurtful like that? When he knows my history and the horrors that I endure during my childhood. It hadn't been easy to reveal the truth of what happened on prom night; I had barely slept since then due to nightmares plaguing my mind most nights. The only thing helping me through my grief and anger was Dane. I talked to him most nights until I was tired enough to nod off into a fitful slumber. I couldn't stand to be here right now, so I texted Matt, crossed my fingers that he was still awake and would willingly help me.

Me: Hey, Matt. Are you awake? I am sorry if this text wakes you up.

Matt replies promptly.

Matt: Hey, Lacey. What's up?

Me: I was wondering if I could ask you a favour? I hate dragging you into my drama, but I don't have a car at the moment, and there is no way I am going to ask Ryder for help.

Matt: Sure, Lacey, anything. Is everything ok?

Me: Not really. I will explain later. That is, if you can help me, I may be asking too much of you.

Matt: Try me, Lacey, you might be surprised *smile emoji

Me: I wondered if you could pick me up and take me back to my hometown. I will understand if you can't. As I said, it is a big ask.

Matt: When?

Me: Now *blushing emoji

Matt: Like now now?

Me: You know what, never mind. I shouldn't have asked that of you. I am just overwhelmed at the moment and want to get out of here, but I can wait until the morning to catch a bus.

Matt: See you in ten minutes, Lacey *winking emoji

Me: You are the best! I will be ready and waiting at the front gates *smile emoji.

I run to my door, unlocking it as quietly as possible and peek into the hallway. All the lights are off in the house, and I cannot hear a single sound, thankfully. I don't want to risk running into any of the guys, not after everything that has happened in the last twenty-four hours. Letting out the breath, I didn't realise I was holding. I tip-toe back into my room, grab the duffle bag from under my bed and hastily shove clothes and toiletries into it.

It might not be the smartest idea to run away from my problems, but there was no way I could stay here right now, not with everything that has happened and continues to happen. I need my rock right now. Looking around the room one last time, I spy my crumpled picture of the twins under my pillow and quickly put it in my front pocket. It was the only possession that I truly cherished.

I made my way as fast and quietly as possible down the stairs. Once I am out the door, I sit on the front steps, hastily lace my converse up, and then jog down the driveway to wait for Matt. It isn't long until I see headlights down the road, and I sigh in relief when he pulls up beside me, leaning across the centre console to open the passenger door for me. "Hey, Lacey", Matt chirps despite the late hour. "Hey", I reply, trying for the same level of cheerfulness and no doubt failing miserably. "Everything ok?" Matt enquires, waiting patiently while I stow my duffle between my feet and put my seat belt on. "Just the usual with Ryder, Saint, West and Lawson. Nothing new, really," I reply. "Two questions. Whose ass do I have to kick? And where are we going?" he replies with a mischievous smile, knowing exactly how to diffuse my shitty mood. Matt was great like that. He always knew what to do and say to make me feel better about myself or the situation. I was grateful to have a friend like that. Especially now. Matt had dropped everything to help me out once again. "This might sound crazy, but I was hoping I could get a lift to my hometown. I am going to stay there for a few weeks," I reply to the second part of his question, unsure how to answer the first.