Chapter 5 - Lacey

"Thanks for the ride home, Matt. I appreciate it" I say as I reach for the door handle. "Any time Lacey. Hey, I was wondering if you weren't busy tomorrow night if you would be interested in dinner and a movie" Matt asks, turning in his car seat so that he is facing me. "I'm not so sure that is a good idea" I begin, wondering if Matt has a death wish. I know Lawson isn't going to be happy about the ride home let alone me going on a date with Matt, not that it is any of his business. "I can handle myself, please say yes Lacey. I would love to get to know you more" he continues, and who am I to say no when he is looking at me with big hopeful blue eyes. "Ok" I say. "Can I get your number so that I can text you the details please" Matt continues. After giving him my number, I silently curse myself when he sends me a text to make sure that I have his number knowing full well who has my phone. Shit. Just what I need, Ryder and his friends reading my texts. Why I don't have a pin on my phone is beyond me. I say a hasty goodbye and head inside, making a bee line straight for my bedroom. Tossing my backpack on the bed I quickly change out of my school uniform and into a sun dress, putting my hair up into a messy bun and make my way downstairs to the media room. As far as I can tell no one is home, my father and Megan are rarely home I found out this week. They are far too busy with work and travelling together for it. No wonder Ryder is happy here, until I showed up, he had free rein of the place.

Flopping down on my stomach on the plush leather lounge I grab the remote and flick through Netflix until I find my all-time favorite movie, Pride and Prejudice. Part way through the movie I start wishing that I had my phone, I really need to call Dane back before he starts to panic. He is a worry wart like that, we have never been apart for so long and I miss him so much. He is my everything. I miss his handsome face and the way he makes me feel comfortable, loved and alive at the same time. It was strange that I had started to feel comfortable around Ryder and his friends, even if they annoyed the hell out of me. They were still kind to me and seemed to genuinely want to help me get to school etc. All four of them were nice to me, well apart from Saint. West and Lawson made it obvious that were interested in me, Ryder was being super nice, but I think in a step brotherly way. Which bothered me for some reason. And Saint. Well Saint was Saint. While he hadn't been especially mean or anything towards me he hadn't been nice either. Not that I expected him to be, I am mature enough to know that I won't always be everyone's cup of tea. And that was fine. That was life.

A loud noise startles me from my thoughts, the front door is thrown open followed by Ryder, Lawson, West and Saint. All wearing the same thunderous expression. "Did he touch you" Ryder asks the minute his eyes land on mine in the lounge room. So much for hello. "That is none of your business" I reply pissed off. Geez, what is it with this guys. "Do you want him to touch you" Ryder continues, stalking towards me with his friends in tow. "Again, none of your business Ryder. Now if you are done with the third degree can we change the subject. Can I have my phone back please" I breath out exhaustedly. Crossing my fingers that he won't fight me on this, I really need to call Dane back. "Sure. Once you tell us what the deal with Matt is" Ryder deadpans. Is this guy serious. I haven't even been here a week and he is already making demands of me and what I do with my life. So, this is what having a brother is like, a pain in the ass. The beeping of my phone doesn't give me a chance to reply. Saint fishes my mobile out from his back pocket and reads the text out loud "Pick you up at 8. Wear something sexy. Matt" he says in a mocking voice. "I think the fuck not" West growls from beside him, snatching the phone from Saint's hands he quickly types a reply. "What are you doing West" I shout, closing the distance between us to wrestle my mobile from out of his hands. When I finally have it, I notice that my screen saver picture has been changed to a selfie of Lawson, shirtless on the bonnet of his hot pink car blowing smoke rings. Not going to lie, the picture is hot as sin and if I wasn't pissed off that Dane's face was no longer on there, I would have even considered keeping it. Maybe I will save the photo when I change it back. You know, for future reference and all that.