Chapter 28 - Lacey

The following week went as expected, same shit, different day. On Sunday morning, I get up early, have a quick shower and then get ready for my shift at the Ellas Hotel. I have worked several shifts since I started and have to say, I love working there instead of some seedy bar. Checking my uniform in the mirror, I am happy with my reflection, so I grab my purse and head downstairs to grab something to eat quick. Walking into the kitchen, I am surprised to see Ryder sitting at the island bench, a smug look on his face. Second thoughts, I am not so hungry, I think to myself as I head off to work instead. As soon as I shut the door on my car, my face splits into a huge grin. I can't believe this baby is mine. All thoughts of hunger leave my mind as soon as I connect my phone to the Bluetooth stereo in my car and blast WAP by Cardi B, feeling happier than I have felt in a long time due to having a good job and being able to finally save some much-needed money. Sure, my father had given me a credit card with a monthly allowance, but I didn't want to build my life on charity. I would only use it in case of an emergency. If he could go from nothing to something, then I wanted to prove to myself that I could, no would, do the same. I also wanted to show everybody that I wasn't just some whore from the trailer park that wouldn't amount to anything.

As soon as I enter the Ellas Hotel, I am called into the manager's office. Straight away, I know it can't be for anything good, and deep down, I know that Saint is behind this since he was the one who got me the job in the first place. As the lackey who fetched me closes the door behind me, I take a deep breath and steel myself for what I know is coming. "Please take a seat, Miss Silverton," a non descript, middle-aged man says, indicating the seat in front of his large mahogany desk. I square my shoulders and sit down as directed. "I called you in here this morning to let you know that we no longer require your services. Payment for any days worked will be deposited into the bank account you provided. Any questions" he asks, looking me up and down like I am a bug under the microscope. I want to ask and say plenty of things, but I don't bother. Hot tears are already burning behind my eyes, and I want to leave this place with my dignity intact, so instead, I thank him for the opportunity and time and make my way back to my car.

Driving around aimlessly, I decided to grab some McDonalds since I was still starving and head to the lake that Matt had taken me to yesterday to eat in peace while I gathered my emotions. How could Saint do this to me, I think with a sob. I bet I know why Ryder had a smirk on his face this morning; it would have been hilarious to him see me ready for work knowing that I didn't have a job to go to. Well, fuck him. Fuck Saint. Fuck all of them. I finish my double quarter ponder, and angrily throw my trash in the bin before storming back to my car. If they think I am a helpless little bitch without them, I would soon prove them wrong. Like my father's allowance, I didn't need anyone giving me a leg up in life.

I had grit and determination to make it on my own and would do just about anything to earn an income to pave my future. Putting the BMW into gear, I crank Stupid by Ashnikko; the words are so fitting that I play it several times as I curse Saint and his bullshit. I spend my day going in and out of different businesses, asking about job vacancies and applying for as many as I can on the spot. By late afternoon, I am tired and pissed off and just about ready to give up for the day when the owner of the last bar I attend offers to give me a start. The only catch is the tiny outfit I must wear, and the trial shift starting tonight at 9 PM and going till 3 AM. Even though I have school tomorrow, I don't hesitate at taking the job. After all, I did say that I would do anything, and I wasn't going to back down.

The house is thankfully quiet when I get home, and I let out a nervous breath. I am so pissed off with them, I don't want to see any of them right now. I grab an apple from the kitchen and head upstairs to study. At 7 PM, the house fills with noise-making me groan. Great. There goes my clear head for studying. Ryder has brought home his merry band of assholes with him by the sounds of it.