Chapter 56: Missing

I felt bad, so I took a breath, looking at the girl. I was hoping I could be of help—a distraction of her uneasy thoughts, for not only Alayah but everyone. Everyone was nervous--everyone was scared of the end of this chapter in our story.

"Did you all end up here the same way, or what?" I asked, and Ace and Alayah looked towards each other. They shrugged.

"I was an orphan, and it was a randomized adoption. I just remembered riding in a big white car for a very long time," Ace started, sticking his hands in his pockets. He gave me a cheeky smile before he looked to the girl next to him with curiosity.

"What about you, Alayah?"

The girl seemed to snap out of something as she looked at us, and she cleared her throat. I could see her think back, and it wasn't a good look. She seemed nervous, as though she hadn't talked about it before.

"Um, well I would like to say I was adopted from an orphanage, although I don't think that's where I'm from. I was picked up at the original place I lived, my...home. White people--bleached people knocked on the door and asked for me...sister...my--sister didn't ask anything as she handed me over. I wasn't her favorite one, so she probably sold me in exchange for another, but, you know—"

I swallowed uneasily, and when no one said anything because of the tension, Alayah laughed nervously.

"It's not a big deal. In fact, that's how I got my sense of humor! That's the reason I'm so funny—you ever heard of cop—"

Alayah suddenly stopped talking, standing still in her place. I looked back, confused as to why she stopped completely until I heard it too—footsteps, coming from a hall a little behind us.

Only one pair.

But it was heading our direction.

I could feel my heart drop as I motioned everyone quickly forward and around the next corner we had to take. There's no way someone could've found us. Maybe they heard us speaking, maybe--

"Keep on going," I lowly mumbled, afraid to look back as I stumbled to the front, quickly leading the children once again. I felt nervous, even if the footsteps have already began to fade away. I couldn't have anything stop me now.

I didn't look back, afraid someone would be following us, so I kept walking forward, reading and following the map as quick as I could. I felt sick, and we were already so close to the exit--already so close to the end.

I would hate to lose someone at this point.

Not again.

"Alex, tell them to get their blindfolds ready," I eventually and quietly whispered to the man behind me, realizing we were only a few turns away from the exit. Realizing that we would be within the Babysitter's grasp in just a moment. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and anxiety was ripping through me.

We were so close.

Suddenly, however, I noticed that Alex wasn't following me anymore, and he didn't say anything either. Neither did anyone else. He stood still in his place, looking back at the children that were supposed to be there.

My heart dropped.

Ace and Alayah were missing.

And in their place, leading from back where we came from, was another trail of blood—Alayah's blood. My legs trembled, and Kai looked back in horror--completely silent.