Chapter 54: Run

We began to head straight once again, before Natalia and the now controlled Oliver began to follow us. Ace was panting as we ran, and I could see his cheeks were flushed with the action.

"H-hey Transfer guy, now would be an excellent time to find some of those weapons of yours."

Alex nodded, and at the next corner, we took a right. I hoped the weapons Alex had were good—something useful. I would prefer something that wouldn't kill someone, make someone bleed—but I would take anything at this point.

But when Alex slid to a stop in front of a door and opened it up, I could feel myself outwardly groan at what he provided. It turns out the door didn't lead to a special weapons room—but rather a janitor's closet.

"Brooms?! Really?!" I panicked, watching as Alex hurried us all to get one. The man nodded, shrugging his shoulders half-heartedly.

"Metal brooms. We don't want to kill them Harper, we just want to hit them and push them back if necessary. We need to keep them away from us, and we don't need to take it any further than that."

I grumbled as I quickly grabbed one, Kai stuttering in panic as he grabbed his own.

"I agree with Harper. This is—"

"I don't know where y'all came from—"
Alayah cut Kai off, grabbing her broom and holding it up. She seemed relieved with the protection.

"But I have never met anyone that complains about their choice of weapon. Now let's move before we actually have to use them!"

At her words, we began to run off again, holding the brooms tightly in our hands. I felt embarrassed, but they would have to work, considering the fact we didn't want to kill anyone.

Alex told us that we needed to make a loop, ending back at the door to Facility B while the children were far behind us. That was a good idea, but I was worried we would slow down.

The children were begin controlled, so even if their body was exhausted from chasing us down, Theo would still make them run. He would push them to their limits. We would eventually slow down, and they would catch up to us.

We had to keep going.

Charlotte was trembling, and she gripped the broom so tight her knuckles turned white. She was holding back sobs, and it seemed she was attempting to keep herself together. My heart broke for her.

It's okay Charlotte...I'll get him back...

But something about her was different.

"Guys, I'm so scared right now. This is insane," Alayah wheezed, holding her stomach as she ran with us. Charlotte nodded, whining as she looked back to see a few of the children in a distance behind us.

Alex grunted himself, getting tired from carrying Rosabeth while simultaneously running. The girl in his arms was squirming and crying— realizing something bad was happening.

I never wanted Rosabeth to experience something like this.

Suddenly, a group of around five children ran out in front of us, weapons in their hands, and I could feel my heart drop. Alex didn't stop though, and neither did us—but I didn't manage to miss the words that left Alayah's mouth—

"Now I get you, Harper! These weapons suck compared to those!"

I looked at the metal bars and the broken glass in their hands, and my heart sped up. If they got close, if they reached us—