Chapter 26: Crush

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly, and Alayah gripped her hair, beginning to pace.

"Oh no. Oh no, no, no—Harper, what did he say to Pyne? Where is he taking him?"

I shrugged, still thinking over her words from earlier. Not who I think he is...

"Um...I don't know. Theo just said he needed to talk to Pyne—"

Charlotte wailed out in fear as Oliver ran to comfort her. Alayah covered her face, beginning to breathe heavily. She shook her head—and I realized something was wrong.

"No, no—this can't be happening. Harper, Theo isn't one of us, he—"

"Works for the Master. Although I'm pretty sure she already knew that."

Everyone turned to see Pyne entering the room, an aggravated and cold look on his face. He seemed relieved that he cut Alayah off.

The children sighed in relief, immediately surrounding him. Alayah wrapped her arms around him, squeezing him tightly. He grunted as she constricted his breath.

"Pyne! Harper said th—"

"Theo...talked to me about...stuff. About how to watch our mouths—"

Alayah raised a brow, stepping away from him and placing her hand on her hip. She scoffed.

"The who said what? You know, this isn't the first time I heard the name Theo—and you couldn't be saying that's his real name—"

Pyne suddenly dragged her to the bathroom, and the other children quickly followed. But before I could, he quickly shooed me away—a panicked look in his eyes.

"No, not you, Harper. It's stuff...you already know..."

I frowned. If it was stuff I already knew, why couldn't I listen?

They all ran into the room with the showers, and I could hear Pyne talking quickly and hushed—although I couldn't hear exactly what he was saying. A knot built in my stomach.

Suddenly, I heard Alayah exclaim, and I jumped up, turning around.

"What?! You can not be serious—"

"Shut up! Did you not listen when I said be quiet!?"

It was suddenly quiet again, and I sighed—wondering what in the world they could be talking about. I felt left out, and I raised a brow as the children walked out of the enclosed room, completely silent.

For the most part, they looked completely shocked. Charlotte was hyperventilating, and I knew for a fact whatever Pyne told them was not something I already knew.

I turned to face the boy, sending a glare his way. I stuttered, and once he caught my gaze, he looked guilty. I swallowed down a lump.

I jumped off of the bed, stumbling towards Pyne. He didn't have a chance to take two steps of of the bathroom before I backed him back in, shutting the door behind us. He froze, looking around.

"What did you say?" I asked, and his eyes went wide. I could see he didn't expect me to act this way.

"Stuff you already—"

"Stuff I already know? If I already knew it, why couldn't I listen? It was something Theo told you, wasn't it? Tell me Pyne—"

Pyne froze, staring at me with shock. He swallowed, and I could see he was thinking. He was deciding whether he should tell me anything or not.

He cleared his throat—and his expression suddenly went flat.