Chapter 19: Getting Ready

"Because I was told not to..."

I fell asleep with those words in mind. They didn't make sense to me. Wasn't everyone 'required' to use numbers instead of their names?

What was so different about him?

I also fell asleep with the thought and memory of Kai on my mind.

He was here.

He was still alive.

~

The sound of the same alarm I heard last night woke me up, causing me to jump up with fright. The lights flickered on, and I looked around in panic—momentarily forgetting where I was.

My heart pounded my chest as all the memories rushed back to me—causing me to groan in annoyance and shock and flop back down on the bed. I watched as all the other children slowly rose from where they were sleeping.

I took a deep breath—the sound of the speaker crackling following the end of the rather taunting alarm.

"Good morning. You will have an hour to prepare for the day. You will need to report to the first meal by 7:00 A.M. Tardiness will be rewarded with a mark."

The speaker shut off, and the words 'first meal' made me gasp. I scrambled out of bed—remembering last night.

Remembering Kai.

He was here—somewhere.

Pyne said so.

At least I hoped it was Kai.

I watched as the other children grumbled awake—all except Oliver. Oliver still rested in his bed, ignoring the blinding lights and the sound of the alarm that played earlier.

I looked to my side to see that Pyne was already awake, and no where to be seen. I would've assumed he left the room if it wasn't for the sound of the water pattering against the floor in the bathroom. I could only assume he was taking a shower.

The smell of bleach was stronger this morning.

I scrambled out of bed, darting to where Alayah was getting up. I was all too excited for the day—to see if I could find Kai—and I felt my heart pound in my chest.

I couldn't wait.

Alayah opened her eyes and yelped when she saw me, hovering over her figure. She clutched her chest as she took heavy breaths—clearly startled.

"What—what?! What is it—what are you—Harper?!—"

"What do I need to do to get ready? What do I do first? Will they bring out clothes—"

Alayah stood up, her tired face now alarmed and strained. She scratched the back of her head, yawning.

"Woah. Woah, girl. Hold on—let me wake up. Give me a second..."

She yawned again, pulling down her silk nightdress from where it was riding up her thighs. She stumbled over to Oliver, pushing him roughly. She rubbed his tired eyes.

"Yo, wake up Oliver. You can't sleep in today. If you get another mark for sleeping in, they're going to—I don't know—do something..."

I suddenly remembered a perk of the injection Transfer 342 gave me—and my curiosity peaked.

I didn't have to wonder, I could know.

"What will happen if I get three marks for sleeping in?"

Violating Regulation 12–"Children are expected to be on time to all classes, meals, and staff-held functions"—for the 'first time' would result in a mark.