Chapter 27: Tour

I was thrilled to see Rosabeth. And I was even more thrilled that Theo offered it, although it didn't seem to be his idea.

If he offered it this time, that meant I might have free passes to see her other times. Natalia was right about the benefits, although not with the Master.

Instead, Theo.

It seemed like hours until we finally arrived at Rosabeth's door. I was excited, and the fact that Theo insisted on holding my hand the whole time didn't even bother me. My heart pounded fast in my chest—and I was happy I knew Rosabeth wasn't in the trance anymore.

When Theo opened the door, I was met with frozen children, sitting politely on their beds. They were quiet, but I knew from experience that they were running around and talking to each other seconds before.

My eyes landed on Rosabeth, and I smiled.

I could see her inhale through her nose, and I knew she recognized me. Her eyes went wide, and I nearly stared crying. I swallowed a lump in my throat.

I pulled away from Theo, quickly making my way to Rosabeth's bed. She smiled, breathing deeply. Although I was here—I knew she was smart, and I knew she was aware of how she should behave in front of people with authority now.

And I was glad she knew Theo had authority.

"Hi, Rosie," I whispered, squatting down beside her bed. I wanted to cry, but I knew it was best to conceal those emotions around Theo.

He was intently watching us.

Rosabeth smiled, scrunching her nose. She seemed surprised, and I realized it was because of my newly gained voice. A voice she has never heard before. Her eyes flickered towards Theo briefly before looking back at me. She giggled, happy to see me.

I would pull her into the biggest hug of my life if Theo wasn't watching.

"Can you speak now, like me?" She asked, and I nodded—watching as her expression lit up with excitement and wonder. I laughed softly, and she giddily covered her mouth with joy.

Rosabeth didn't continue on the subject, however, she did wiggle her six-year-old brows and giggle Theo's direction. I could tell she was holding back excitement.

"Is that your boyfriend?" She giggled, covering her mouth as to keep quiet. I could see Theo's eyes go wide as he silently gasped, his face going red. I scoffed, playfully rolling my eyes.

I gently poked her nose, causing her to to go into another fit of quiet giggles. The moment was internally ruined by the voice in my head.

Number 737, Regulation 13–"No physical contact will be tolerated"—has just been violated. Correct it immediately.

I frowned, wincing at the voice. It seemed it only happened to me when I initiated the physical contact, it it was growing annoying.

"No, he's not."

I paused, watching from the corner of my eye as Theo leaned against the doorframe, studying us. The other children in the room seemed tense—but for some reason, I felt like I shouldn't worry this moment—right now.

Theo wouldn't report any of it to the Master anyways.

"How is it—has it been...okay?" I asked her, and she paused, slowly nodding. She seemed less enthusiastic about this subject.

"I didn't like the dentist, or the yucky soup. The soup gave me a tummy ache. The bath they made me take...hurt too," she mumbled under her breath, looking at at our hair and arms. She then smiled, clicking her feet together. She pulled a strand of my hair and pulled it against hers, comparing them.