85 - Leandra Sanders

So, apparently, I can't totally ignore the bureau's influence in my life. This is who I am. I find Oliver spacing out when I talk to him sometimes about the case we're working on. Charles hinted that all's fine as long as I'm in no danger. I raised an eyebrow at that.

"He only wanted you to stay safe." He clearly stated while I still looked doubtful.

I guess he's new to my way of conducting a case. He's never seen one in action before.

In a way, I feel discomfort. Facing danger is when I feel the most comfort. Facing calm makes me agitated, knowing that something bad is bound to happen sooner or later.

The con was executed a month later. I was the director, and everyone is an actor. I had to remind them every single time about the minute details – expressions. The audience are the targets. It took over two weeks before we captured them. It all started with seemingly small problems for a few companies involved in the con, a small drop in stock prices, companies competing on bidding projects, a sacrificial company, and it all fell into place. The moment they think they won, signing the big contract, the issues start showing up one by one – from legal compliance to fraudulent financial reporting, from questionable HR practices and benefits to unprofitable projects.

When everything is said and done, we all exhaled the breath we were holding. One misstep and we could be facing financial problems as well. I smirk, safe from using my own assets as guarantee for any finance issue that could result from failure.

Board meetings were held immediately after to normalize the operations of the businesses again. It was the same at Taylor Industries.

Everyone was quiet as we wait for others to attend. In five minutes, the discussions will begin. Charles is tasked in explaining the actual situation to everyone. Practically everyone attending holds shares of the company. Oliver remains the largest shareholder.

Once the truth is out, majority of them sighed in relief while others were still concerned at the risk we took and how it could've ended the company.

Charles acted as the mediator, answering any concern that he knows the answer to.

It was revealed that Oliver only sold up to 20% of the company's shares, making his holdings 41% in the end. That was enough to significantly drag the market price down. I turned to my husband, unable to stop the smile forming in my lips. Who knew?

He noticed me and looked, frowning at my expression.

"Second largest shareholder is thru Yew Investment Company, uh..." Charles momentarily stopped and looked in my direction.

"You acquired them? Leandra Sanders, having a total of 34%." They all turned to me.

I shrugged. "My brokers were not involved. It was purely coincidence that they purchased them. Initially, I already own 17%, right? It was simply doubled. Take it that I purchased what Oliver sold."

"Why did you have 17% initially? I didn't think you would invest that much in my company." Oliver suddenly asked.

"You bought Sanders Corp. You expect me not to invest?" I asked back. He simply smiled and we faced everyone again.

Charles continued. The rest roughly own a few percent only.

"Should we sell? We can't bring the price up again if we hold onto them."

"Maintain 61% between us."

"What's with the extra 1%?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Just because."

"Force of habit." Charles added.

The meeting continued with how the company is going to proceed with all the projects that were affected by our show. The finance department is clear with their numbers.