43 - Lee Smith

After wandering for nearly a week. I decided to come back. In a way, I just hate how I would probably need to agree with Oliver in most decisions. Like how I need to work in his company, to at least get a better reputation and a better story on how we met. It doesn't appeal to me as it's equivalent to lying, to be honest.

I went to Aya's place before showing up at Oliver's office the next Monday. I'll have to ask if I can get an advance I can use to get an apartment. I only wandered for a week and I already used up most of my savings. I don't have enough for rent deposit. I sighed. I'll just go at this blindly. If it turns out great, that would be welcome. If it turns out into a heartbreak, well, let's go back to zero.

I was nervous as I was walking inside Taylor Industries' building. I was wearing my typical white blouse and jeans. Every woman I see is wearing office skirts. I walked over at the reception.

"I have an appointment with Mr. Charles Cross." I did tell Charles that I will show up on Monday. I groaned inside. I don't even have a resume with me.

The receptionist looked up briefly, looked me over before looking at her log.

"Name, please."

"Lee Smith."

"Right. Mr. Cross is on the 19th floor. Executive office. Elevator's this way, ma'am." She gestured towards it. I smiled at her and said my thanks. I didn't sense any judgment from her even if she did look me over.

I patted the ID in my pocket. I'm not even sure if it's legitimate or a fake. Personally, I'd rather not use it. I'm kind of glad she didn't ask for identification. I've never needed one before, so I forgot to ask Oliver for the IDs he had prepared for me.

As soon as I walked out of the elevator, I already saw Charles and Oliver inside their office. I waved hello, suddenly nervous again.

Oliver was quick. He was in front of me in the next five seconds. He embraced me tightly. I awkwardly patted his back.

"I'm glad you're back." He whispered, then kissing me on the forehead.

"I'm here to work. You did say you're offering me an easy job."

"Yes. Anything for you. Let's meet Charles." I snorted at the show of formality.

"Glad to see you again." Charles smiled lightly, observing Oliver and his actions.

"He'll be your immediate head for now. He'll teach you what he knows about being an executive assistant. You can share the load later. Charles is overdue to take a month-long vacation. He hasn't been able to since I can't function without him." Oliver explained simply. I see Charles in a different light now. His role is very important. I knew he takes on more than business-related matters.

"Right." I looked around the office. They already set up another table for me. I eyed the door that leads to Oliver's own office.

"When do I start?" I asked in a serious tone. They were observing my actions.

"Right after you sign the contract, which I'll be discussing to you inside. Shall we?" Oliver gestured towards his office. I shrugged. He led the way. Charles sat in his own chair as I followed Oliver.

"How are you?" I bumped into him as soon as I entered the door. His arms wrapped around me. I looked up to see his face and expression. Worried. Relieved.

"Just a little nervous. It's my first day. I don't want to mess up." I was resolute in my decision. I already resigned from my previous job. I already left my previous apartment. Right, speaking of apartment. I need to ask for cash advance. I winced. He did take notice, though.