73 - Leandra Sanders

I looked down after answering him. I don't know why I'm embarrassed, caught doing an illegal act. This is the first time I was nervous answering questions. I'm used to not batting an eye when lying, just to get out of a tight spot or to probe for information. What is this feeling?

I heard Oliver sigh, so I dared to look up again.

"You don't need to worry about that. I'll take care of it." I don't know if he meant it, or if he simply doesn't want to bother me, but still...

"I want to. I feel like I'm working on a case." I emphasized it very much. If I'm not working at the bureau, this would at least give me the same sense of fulfillment and excitement.

He stared for a while.

I decided diversionary tactics would be fine now.

"Why didn't you tell Alex and Axel?" He sighed at my question.

"I'm sure they have nothing to do with it." I appreciate his trust.

"But they need the information as well. It could be someone in their company trying to stir trouble." He gave me a look of understanding then.

"Right. Sorry. I should have." He ran a hand through his hair.

I decided it's safe to continue walking. He followed and I planted the bugs in his clear view.

"I already called them. They'll be investigating as well. I've already activated the bugs in their premises."

"You bugged your brothers as well?" He sounded incredulous.

"It's not them. More like the directors' offices."

"What's that on your back?" Ah, it took him half an hour to notice.

"It's a sweeping device. Lets me know if there's any active bugs around."

"So, they can be deactivated?"

"Sure, I only activate them when I need information."

"Can I see one?"

I gave him a smiley on a green background. He stuck it on his phone.

"Want me to bug you?" I asked.

"It might come in handy." His answer made me laugh.

"That's what I said when I asked Mike for a box."

"A box?" He's confused again.

"Of bugs."

"How many do you have?"

"Enough." I didn't dare give him a number.

"How do you plan to listen to everything?" I can tell he's sincerely interested to know the details.

"I have a team for surveillance, including listening to bugs."

"Do you plan to put bugs in each floor?"

"If you can show me the directors' offices, and managers', that would make things easier."

"Follow me, then." He pointed different offices and offered the names of the key personnel. I did read the file. Planting became faster. If I didn't know better, I would think Oliver only wanted to finish early so we can go home.

"Do you suspect anyone?" He sighed at my question. It must be hard for him to think about it. Everyone's there because he trusted them.

My phone rang. An email notification. I glanced at it. It must be Jane's report. I should read it soon.

We finished after twenty more minutes. I excused myself to go to the comfort room. I read Jane's report. She does have a lot to say. She even included rumors from other companies, which are all familiar to me. I should review again which ones I have control over.

"Should I drive?" I asked Oliver as he handed me my bag, which contains my mini laptop.

"Do you want to?" He pulled me by the waist as we walked. Given the time, everyone's gone home already.

"Sure, I brought my car. I'll be visiting a few people tomorrow afternoon." I informed him of my plans.

"If you will drive, I can cook us dinner." He volunteered.

"Good. I don't remember cooking." I admitted.

"You can watch me. It will all come back." He pulled me close and kissed my head.

That night, I was busy working on my laptop. When he asked, I just said there are issues and concerns from before that I should settle. He told me our story while we're both working. The way I stop him to ask him questions is quite funny. I almost couldn't believe half of what he said.

I wouldn't say my interaction with Charles was normal. He's sharp. He probably thought I was evaluating him, which I did. He's a good person, nice and kind. I could tell that much, and he's loyal to Oliver. I reviewed ordinary documents in the morning. I already planned to visit a few companies later that afternoon.

"Should we eat lunch at the cafeteria?" I asked Oliver when I glanced at the clock. 11:35 am.

"You want to try there?" He asked absentmindedly.

"Yes. Let me check out the people."

"Charles usually eat there as well."

I shrugged. "I can tell he won't ask, unless he was given explicit permission to ask."

He's bound to notice my amnesia when Oliver gives me a rundown of information about everyone we will see on the cafeteria.

Fortunately, Charles came in at that moment to say he needs to visit a client. He won't be there at lunch.