36 - Oliver Taylor

She's acting weird again. She's aloof these days. Because of her injuries, she only took two classes this term. She writes her papers using her left hand. Apparently, she already broke her wrist while hitting one of the men during the scuffle and then further injuring it by firing the gun. I already told her to instruct Charles if she needs anything done for her schoolwork. She rarely comes to my house, even during the weekends. I sighed. She's been more closed off since that incident. Normally, she would tell me whatever's on her mind when I ask her, but this time around she would shake her head no. The change in her attitude is a little disconcerting. I hope she'll return to be a tough character who smiles a lot. I still let her be. I know she needs time to be alone, to get her thoughts right.

Not a month later...

"Sir, I've..." Charles is never one to hesitate. I frowned at him, body stuck between the doors to my office.

"Come in. What is it?"

"I haven't verified it yet. But I've heard your mother visited Miss Lee at her place."

I exhaled. I already told them not to interfere. If anything, I made it clear they are not to meet her in private. My parents do not approve of her. My mom has been vocal about it.

I dialed Lee's number. It rang but she didn't answer.

"What did she tell you?" I asked as soon as her shift ended at Tracy's that night.

"Who?" She dumped her school bag at the back seat.

As soon as she sat next to me, I continued the conversation.

"My mom."

"What would she tell me?" I frowned at her question.

"Didn't she come to see you?"

"She did." She's confusing me.

I started driving, she frowned when I drove the other way, to my house.

"What did she tell you?" I asked again.

"Things I've already thought myself. Nothing new, really."

"Don't overthink, alright?"

"You hate that, don't you?" I can't be sure, but her response ticked me off the wrong way despite her teasing tone.

"Your mom may not like me, but it's clear she respects your decision. Don't be too hard on her. If I were your mom, I would probably act the same way."

"Are you on her side now?" I'm not sure why she's defending her so much. It annoys me.

"I think you've misunderstood your mom. She didn't say anything inappropriate at all. Why are you being judgmental?"

I didn't expect her to raise her voice as well. We stopped the conversation and I focused on driving.

I exhaled. She's right. I may have misunderstood my mom. Why did I even assume she would do something like that? It's what I fear, I guess. I don't want anyone to drive Lee away, especially my own family.