071; don't throw up on me

(A/n mentions of self harm & throwing up 😯)

third person.

after valentine's day had passed, the wedding in astrid's family finally took place and the ceremony had already been done with.

and as crowds of people came for the celebration afterwards, many of astrid's family were already drunk and communicating with anyone they could find, whether they knew them or not.

as for max, the guy was stood with a glass of iced water in his hand, awkwardly stood too close to his wife as she spoke to her grandma, his hand held onto her arm and staring at the floor.

"you have a lost puppy attached to your arm." her grandma smiled at the boy, "max, it's okay."

"lisa you're one out of three people in this room who is not judgemental towards me." max looked up at her, "the other two are her mom and dad."

"i'm not judging you for your family situation." lisa smiled as mollie came up behind the couple, "it's okay. how have you been since julie passed? has it been okay?"

"i'm getting there," he slowly nodded, glancing to astrid's aunt who had suddenly joined the conversation, "it's hard to accept it but having mollie there is a big help."

mollie gave max a small smile as she glanced over to lisa, who looked at them both with a nod and grin before wondering off towards the rest of the family, leaning the three alone with aunt cass.

"well, they always say everything happens for a reason." she said as max and mollie immediately paused, staring at the lady in front of them with frowns on both of their faces.

"aunt cass," astrid mumbled through a sigh, "why don't we go get a drink?"

"how has your mom been coping?" cass turned herself to max with a small smile, ignoring the girl holding her hand as she looked at max with worrying eyes, "she's still around, right?"

"...we don't keep in touch," max shook his head.

"eugene?"

"he passed a year before nana." max replied, reaching for his sister's hand as she stood frozen and stared at the ground, "it's just us."

"oh." cass paused.

"aunt cass it's okay you don't need to-"

"how did your nana pass?" cass asked them as mollie immediately removed herself from the conversation and walked towards the door to the outside porch of the venue.

"she just got sick," max shrugged, glancing over to his sister who had been walking at a fast pace to get out of the room, "there was nothing we could do."

"oh," cass slowly nodded as she folded her arms, "max dear, if you kept your mom in touch i think your sister would have less issues than what she has right now."

"cass." astrid shot her head towards her aunt.

"if a kid raised another kid it's no wonder that she can't adult properly," she explained with a shrug as max kept his teary eyes on her, "..you had so much potential and it went to waste because you chose to be like a dad."

"she needed me," max argued back with a shrug as astrid shook her head at him.

"you don't owe anyone an explanation max." astrid told him as her aunt glanced to her.

"no but i'm not letting someone talk about my family like that." max looked at her while gesturing to her aunt cass, who had now raised her eyebrow as his wife let out a sigh.

"your mom was a lovely person." she frowned, "she could've cared for both of you and you could've made sure one of you were successful."

with a small frustrated laugh and a shake of his head, he handed his daughter to his wife before grabbing his drink on the table they were stood beside, running his hand through his hair while heading towards the door his sister walked out of just a few minutes prior.