9. Dhum tana na

"Who is she? Where is my daughter-in-law?!" Ritwik's mom sounded horrified as she pointed a shaky finger at me.

"They betrayed us." Ritwik's voice was back to the cold emotionless state it was in when he spoke to my family.

"What?" Mrs. Sinha looked at me with anger and disgust. "You..you can't be my son's wife. A simple assistant like you? You think you can trap a rich man and get away with it?!" Her voice rose. Ritwik cringed for a split second before going back to being cold.

I just stared blankly. I knew any kind of reaction would only escalate it. I knew that from first hand experience with people like her.

"Jemma-" Surya tried to speak but she cut him off.

"What were you doing? Where were you when your brother's life was being destroyed?!" She seethed. "And what were you doing, Deepa? What were all of you doing when they were ruining my son's life!"

No one said a word as they all hung their head in shame. For a second, I felt humiliation intense enough to make me want to cry but it passed. It wasn't my fault. None of this was my fault.

Okay, maybe a little bit was. I shouldn't have said yes.

I blinked those thoughts away. If I didn't agree, Kanak would have been the one being berated like this.

"You-you.." She pointed a shaky finger at me and angrily walked towards me. As soon as she reached me, she lifted her hand to slap me. My body went into fight or flight mode as I reflexively held her hand away.

"Let go of my hand. How dare you touch me, you dirty, disgusting girl!"

I grit my teeth and held hand tightly applying pressure as my vision began to blur.

"Jemma! What are you doing?!" Surya sounded panicked. "Maa!" Ritwik called out sounding equally panicked as his brother.

She breathed heavily as she tried to pull her hand out of my grip which tightened a little more with each jerk.

"Dyuti!" Ritwik's voice brought me out of rage filled haze.

I quickly let go of her hand and moved back. She held her hand with her other one and just stared at me open-mouthed as if I was the crazy lunatic that just atacked her.

Fuck. This is going to be a very tough deal.

Holding her hand she walked back to her son. "Did you see what she just did? You can't be married to that uncultured girl. I will not allow her to be a part of this family. I don't accept this marriage-" She turned to me and glared at me, "-Did you hear? I will never accept this marriage!"

Neither will I but who the fuck cares about me, anyway?

"What is going o-" A new older male voice cut himself off. I tried not to panic as the owner of the Singh group of Industries himself stared at me.

I bit my lower lip pulling at the skin.

"I know you. I have seen you before. Where have I seen you before? Why are you in bridal attire?"

I had to fight the urge to look down at my feet. Sure, I worked for his grandson, but he was still Ranajit Sinha. The fucking owner of the whole Sinha Empire.

Pratyush saved me. "Riya left so her family sent her. And she's Ritwik's assistant."

"What? What do you mean Riya left and they sent her? What is this? Amazon?! We lost your package so here's a different one." Mr. Sinha said.

I bit the inside of my cheeks to stop myself from giggling.

My sense of humour is fucked up.

"I am going to call Paritosh, right now." He announced before pulling his mobile out and tapping on it.