19. Fucking hell!

"Yeah, I'm gonna leave now.." Surya said cautiously.

"You don't want breakfast? I made it today."

"Why? Did Mishti tell you to?" Ritwik asked.

"No. Just felt like it."

He stared at me. He removed the lids of the pots and checked the food. Then stared at me again. "Meenu, could you bring up our breakfast after you're done packing Joy's food?"

"Yeah, sure, Babu Da."

"I don't think that's a good id-"

"Just come upstairs." Ritwik grabbed his cup of tea and left the kitchen.

Thoroughly confused by the situation, I followed after him with the cup of tea that I made for myself.

"What the hell?" I asked once I was inside his room.

"Close the door."

"You aren't my boss outside of the office hours."

"Dyuti."

"Do it yourself, asshole." I rolled my eyes and sat down on his bed.

His jaw ticked. "What exactly are you playing at?"

"I should ask you that. What the hell is your problem? What was that attitude for?"

"You don't understand? What exactly are you trying to do? You woke up early to make breakfast for everyone and that too keeping everyone's preference in mind." He moved closer to me. "It even looks like you showered and everything. What else? You already did the puja? You want to be the perfect Bouma or something?"

"What the hell? No, I just figured that I should do something nice for y'all since you know, I'm being allowed to stay here."

"You're not being allowed. It's your right to stay here."

"Well then in that case what's the problem with me doing something nice?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"No! That's why I'm asking!"

"You can't just do something like that once. My family is big on roles and responsibilities. However you act today and whatever you do today will set your role in the family for the rest of your time here. Breakfast is Mishti's responsibility. It has been so for the past 8 years that she's been in the family. You can't just do that without her permission."

"Okay, how the fuck am I supposed to know that?"

"You aren't. You're supposed to ask me. Or Joy. Hell even Meenu. Don't just do stuff. That little stunt you pulled there is going to be seen as an attack on her."

I began to massage my temple.

Why? Just why do I have to always end up with the weirdest fucking people?

"Now what? I already made it. Do you want me to throw it out?"

"No. Just. Let me figure something out."

"Why can't I just tell them the truth and apologize?"

"No. Just don't do anything. Let me handle this."

"But why? Your family already dislikes me, what does it matter if they know what I was tr-"

"Because then that'll be your responsibility. You can't take it over. Mom's trying to test you since the moment you stepped into the house in your bridal attire. If she pushed you into the kitchen, you're work life is gone."

"What?"

"Exactly." He sat next to me. "The women in our family don't work. My family is traditional that way. I know you wouldn't be okay with that and a huge problem will ensue. I'm just trying to avoid the topic for as long as possible."

"Did Riya Di know this?"

"Yes."

"And she agreed?"

Ritwik shrugged. "She was a perfect fit for my family. The perfect Sinha daughter-in-law."

Of course she was. Little Miss Perfect.

Then I remembered something else. "I couldn't find my work clothes in my clothes, which by the way, are in your closet."

"About that, you're probably gonna have to wear a saree all the time."

"Yeah fuck no. Not happening."

"Why do you swear so much around me? You don't seem to do it as much around others."

"Because you annoy me the most. Now, back to the topic at hand. I'm not wearing a saree all the time. I don't mind them, but not all the time. I don't even know how to wear them!"

"I'll help you. Just for as long as we are here. Once we move abr-"

"No. I'm not wearing a saree to work. And definitely not when I'm off work. I only wear them for some important event and not regularly."

"I am not going to try to force you but just know that there will some resistance."

"A woman wearing what she wants faces resistance. How shocking!" I slapped a hand to my mouth as dramatically as I could.

He groaned. "I'm trying you know. I have to balance both sides. You're my friend and that's my family. I'm going to have to at least tell you the things."

"Yeah, okay. But it isn't just telling if I can't find them."

"I didn't do that. I've been so caught up in all the drama that I am not even sure where my own stuff is."

Ma.

It had to be her. She probably didn't even send it.

"I'm borrowing your clothes."

"You'll look ridiculous."

"You know, I'm not nearly as tiny as you act." I huffed.

He grinned. "But you are tiny. My shirt is like a night dress on you."

"My nightdresses reach my ankles not barely past my ass." I rolled my eyes. "But if you don't want me to wear yours, I'll ask Surya."

He threw a shirt at me. "Be my guest. It'll be fun watching you try to explain to my family why you're wearing your brother-in-law's clothes." He took off his T-shirt and began looking for something like there weren't a gazillion shirts right in his face. He bent down and I looked away.

Mustn't slap booty. Mustn't. Stay focused.

Instead I took off my own kurti and began putting his shirt on.

"Do you want us to be late?" His voice sounded strained.

I snickered but my voice caught in my throat as I looked at the asshole only in his shorts. "Do you?"

We stared at each other reliving our memories from Hotel De'Reu. He had me pinned to his bed within the blink of an eye. "How rigid are you about the no sex rule?" His voice was low and husky.

"About as much as boiled pasta." I replied lifting my hips up to meet his.

He smirked and looked like he was about to say something but then his eyes fell to my lips and I found myself mirroring him.

The only reason I had managed to avoid him for a whole month is because we were at work and he couldn't get too close to me. But in the moment as his body pressed against mine I could feel every last iota of resistance leaving my body.

I wrapped my fingers in his hair and pulled. His eyes closed as his head tilted back. The moment he opened his eyes, I wanted to flip us over and have my way with him. Right then and there. I didn't care of who might here us or who might walk i-

*Crash*

I turned my head in the direction of the noise. "Fucking hell!" I hissed as I instinctively pulled the bedsheet lying next to us and covered the semi-naked man on top of me.

"Shit."

I pushed him off me and walked up to Mishti standing in the doorway with a shell shocked expression. I quickly shoved the food and broken pieces of glass on the floor, outside the door and slammed it shut.

Ritwik and I stared at each other. We could hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

Fuck.