14. Golden shackles

I felt like a puppet as I sat in the chair waiting for Naira to finish my make up.

Her family had been quick to welcome me after she explained most of the situation to them. Her mother had been super understanding but I knew that was surface level. Sure, they liked me, but it was clearly visible in her eyes that she was judging me. A married woman staying anywhere other than her in-laws place or where her husband stays is always judged.

"You can look now." I opened my eyes and turned around to face the mirror. Naira had done a great job enhancing my natural features without exaggerating anything too much. It didn't seem like bridal make up, but it made me feel good. Plus, the most important part of the look, the red lip, was there so it was perfect.

"Thank you. This looks amazing."

She beamed at me and then flipped her hair dramatically. "That's cause I did it and not you." She teased. Then her expression got serious again. "Are you sure you want to do this? You don't have to do it. You can stay here for a while then we'll both move out. As soon as we can find an appropriate apartment, we'll move out. It'll be just like we used to talk about. We'll be roommates."

As much as I wanted that, I couldn't do that. I had responsibilities. Ritwik and I may not truly believe in our marriage, but I still didn't want to humiliate him.

"Yeah? And how many years later would we find the appropriate apartment, Miss I need everything to be perfect?"

She rolled her eyes. "Do you want to live in an unsafe area or an unaffordable place or a place that's literally like the middle of no where? And what's wrong with wanting everything to be perfect?"

"Nothing." I smiled at her and then wrapped my arms around her waist. She was one of the few people that didn't make me feel weird and uncomfortable about being touched.

"Oi, you'll ruin your make up. Shoo." She gently nudged me away but I still held on to her like a baby. She reminded me of my mother with the way she took care of me. After a couple more nudges, she finally gave in and began to gently massage my head. My grip tightened on her as I tried to stop myself from crying. I was having horrible thoughts and mood swings and I couldn't understand how much of it was due to my up coming periods and how much of it was from the sheer mental stress of all this drama.

"It doesn't matter what happens, you'll always be welcomed here. It doesn't matter if it's 3 am in the morning, come to me. Don't ever hesitate. I'll keep finding us an apartment in the meanwhile."

I made a sound of agreement.

"Are you crying?"

"No."

This time she pushed me harder and I finally let her go. "Dyuti, look at me. I swear if you ruin the make up."

I swallowed and opened my eyes trying to blink away the tears. Her eyes softened.

"It hurts. I don't know why. But it hurts so bad. My dad didn't even care and my mom thinks of them as her family. I know I am too old for the no one loves me drama but.." My voice broke and I looked away. God, this was the second time in just two days, that someone saw me crying.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I breathed quickly and tried to regain my composure. She held my face and turned me to face her. "I love you, isn't that enough?"

I nodded. "Yes. Yes, it is."

"Are you really sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah. I am sorry I got emotional. Just hormones. Sorry for ruining the make up."