2. Of course

"No. Absolutely not." Had my mother not been in the room I would have cursed every single one present in the room and their family roots. I tried to move backwards and slip out of the door but Surya was still holding my hand.

I didn't understand how my mother was fine by a guy holding my hand but then again she was trying to marry me off to her sister's would-be son-in-law.

My mother took a step towards me and I jerked my hand off Surya's and attempted to leave. But that asshole quickly stood against the door and looked at me with his unfairly beautiful eyes. "Please, do this. It's my family's dignity."

"How? How the fuck?" I screamed unable to control my anger.

"Dyuti!" My mother warned but I ignored her. I was beyond pissed at that moment. If she slapped me at that moment, I knew I would slap her right back. Or maybe not. No one needed to know about my rocky relationship with my mother.

"How would it affect your family? It's only gonna ruin them." I pointed at my still sobbing aunt who just sobbed louder as my mother kept trying to soothe her.

"My brother is a public figure. If people find out his would-be wife ran away, do you think his character won't be taken apart and scrutinized? It will ruin his reputation and it will hurt our business. It will hurt thousands of people whose lives depend on that job. We might even have to fire a few of them. And we don't know who." His eyes met mine in a meaningful way.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. Of course I had to be attracted to a manipulative piece of shit.

"You have do it. Please, Dyuti. You have to save them. They're my family!" My mother screamed.

"So am I!" I screamed back.

Why the hell was everyone saying my name over and over? Did they think constantly taking my name would convince me?

"There's less than 10 minutes left. Is she ready?" A familiar voice asked.

I turned my head to see my other cousin. All of their heads turned to her. She must have sensed something because she smiled awkwardly. I could literally hear the gears in everyone's head turning.

"Oh hell no. She's only 19!" I yelled out.

"We don't have a choice." My mother spat. Almost as if it was my fault somehow.

"He's 28!" I tried again

"Only 9 years. It's fine. We don't really have a choice." My uncle, who hadn't really talked to me, because he never really does, said. He turned to my cousin and with a smile said, "Kanak, come inside and we-"

"No! Go down tell them the bride will be ready in 5. She'll be there as soon as the logno starts, okay?"

Kanak shot me a grateful smile and bolted out of there.

"Will you...?" My aunt asked hopefully.

"Yes."

"No. No, this isn't okay. Riya made her decision and now we should just tell them. I'm sure, we can figure something out." My aunt's son, Sujoy Da, suddenly said.

My aunt and uncle glared at him. But he ignored them and walked to me. "I know we don't really have a good relationship but I can't let you do this."

Then why the fuck didn't you say this earlier, asshole?

"Otherwise they'll force Kanak." I replied calmly.

He nodded and backed off. I knew he was only saying it for the sake of saying it.

"But I want dad's permission." I said in a last ditch attempt to save myself.

My mother snorted. "Your dad doesn't care. He would never be able to find someone so good for you. Ritwik is a good man. Your dad isn't capable of finding someone like that for you."

"I still want to ask him." I said stubbornly.

"Fine." My mother walked over to me extended her hand. I gave her phone to her. She called him but he didn't pick up. "See, he doesn't care. He doesn't care what happens to his wife or daughter. You know he'll say yes anyway. He never wanted you. I'm the one who did everything for you. I know what's good for you. That's why, I am agreeing to this."

I was used to all those words. Those were more constant in my life than anything else. I knew and fully believed them because they were true. I was numb to them. But in that moment all those words felt like a punch to my gut.

I still called him using my own phone. After two rings, he picked up. I tried to ignore my aunt gathering all of Riya Di's clothes and jewellery. She knew my mom's words were final. Everyone knew that. But it wasn't just because my mother had a dominating presence but because all of her words were true. My dad didn't care. He never did. But I still hoped.

"Hello?"

"Hello, baba. Where are you?"

"I'm near the coffee. Where are you? I saw your mother a few minutes ago."

Maybe he does care.

"Riya Di ran away."

"What? I can't hear you."

"I said-" I started in a louder voice but my mother grabbed the phone and yelled, "Our daughter is getting married. Dyuti is going to marry Ritwik. I will explain everything later. She wants to know if you are okay with her marrying him. He's a great man. He's rich and he's better than anyone you could ever find for her."

Stop putting words in his mouth.

I wanted to shout at her but knew better than that. I could scream and fight with her once we were home.

Will I be home? Do I have a home anymore?

"So, you're okay with it, right?" She nodded then told me, "He agrees."

"I want to hear it from him."

"What you don't trust me? Why will you? No matter what I do it doesn't matter. You're still his daughter. It will always be his name. But all the bad things are my fault."

I bit back the urge to scream at her that it was her name that was always there as my guardian's name in all my documents. Anything I filled up, always had her as my guardian, my nominee, it was always her, never dad. And for good reason. But jeez, did she have to air our dirty laundry in public?

I snatched the phone from her, "Baba, what do I do? Do you agree to this marriage?"

"Yes."

Despite knowing that this would be his answer, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

Of course.

*********†*****†*********
Logno = The auspicious time within which the groom and bride have to be married.

Baba- Bengali version of the word "father" or "dad"