24. #reverseharem (I wish)

Ritwik turned to look at me then opened the door wide. There stood his sister-in-law with a steel tiffin carrier and a shy smile. Her smile slowly slipped away as she stared at Ritwik, no doubt zeroing in on his slightly swollen lips. She turned to look behind him to find me. I smiled at her causing her gaze to harden.

"I brought your lunch since you didn't have breakfast today or bring anything with you."

Realising that the food I got from the mall was definitely going to be wasted, I decided to leave the room. I didn't have to watch them and their drama seconds after what just happened. I picked my bag up and walked up to the door.

"Excuse me." I pushed past Ritwik and into the hallway.

"Where are you going?"

I turned my head back to glare at him and in true Dyuti style, bumped into someone. I wouldn't be me if I didn't randomly bump into a man while walking. I swear the writer just wants me to fall down face first and have a concussion.

In the same vein, Pratyush wouldn't be Pratyush if he didn't save the damsel in distress. One of his hand held my shoulder while the other went to my waist, stabilising me.

"My knight in shining suit is here! Why do you always wear a suit though, doc?" I asked pulling myself straight.

He let go of me and rolled his eyes. "Did I ever ask you why you look homeless all the time?"

"Rude."

"Dumbass."

"Why are you here?" Ritwik rudely interrupted.

Pratyush, being used to his best friend's tantrums, rolled his eyes and held up a packet from a nearby restaurant. "This is exactly why I ask you not to date your assistants. Then I have to act as your assistant."

"Oh shit, yeah. I completely forgot I asked you to buy food. But it's not my fault. You're 15 minutes late."

"Go fuck yourself, dude. I wasn't leaving in the middle of the surgery to be your Zomato guy."

"Why are you pissed off?" Ritwik asked sounding much calmer himself.

"I don't know Einstein, figure it out. Actually you know what, leave it be. I'll talk to you when you have some time."

Pratyush let go off me and began to walk away. Ritwik stood there dumbfounded. Of course the moron didn't get it. So, I ran after his best friend.

I swear the writer of this show has no idea what they're doing. Constantly making someone or the other run after someone else.

I caught up to him before he could press the elevator button. "Wait!"

"What do you want? I genuinely do not have the patience to deal with you right now."

"He's had a rough day."

"Don't you dare speak for him. You maybe his wife and assistant but do not pull that with me. If he wants to say anything, he'll speak to me directly."

"Hey, what happened?" Ritwik asked from behind me. He sounded concerned.

"Does it matter? You don't have time."

"Come on, man. Quit acting like that. What happened?"

Pratyush just looked at him and didn't say a word. Ritwik stared back for a moment before realising what happened. He pulled his friend into a hug. Pratyush closed his eyes and gripped Ritwik's shirt.

"She was just 9. Just 9. Such a sweet and bubbly little girl." He cut himself off.

Not wanting to intrude, I went back to Ritwik's office where Mrs. Snoby stood with an irritated expression.