13. The argument

This is a very short one but I felt like it was better to keep this as a separate chapter. So yeah, happy reading!

*********†*****†*********

I felt a strong sense of deja vu. Just 15 hours ago, we were in a room  but the roles were reversed. I was the one who was anxious and had some explaining to do, while he was the one who was there for the explanation.

I liked this better. A lot better. Anger to anxiety, anyday.

I pulled the chair in the room towards me and sat on it waiting for him to speak.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't do more. I really am. But you leaving in that moment was really the best thing possible for all of us. That's why I didn't stop you."

"That doesn't bother me. I understand that."

"Then what bothers you? Why are you mad at me?"

I felt the burning sensation in my chest rising up my shoulders.

"You don't know? Or you don't want to know?"

"I don't know."

"The way you're acting! That's the problem, Ritwik. What do you think is actually bothering me? It's the fact that you think you own me or something!"

"What?! Of course not!"

"Really? Then what was that on call when you asked me where I was and wh-"

"You were supposed to be at Molly's, of course I was confused!"

"One, do not interrupt me again. Two, we both know exactly how you asked it. And three, just minutes ago how you were acting with Pratyush. You don't understand why I'm mad?!"

"Oh, so how I talk to my best friend bothers you now?"

"I will slap you. I swear to the heavens I will slap you if you do this shit right now. I do not care if I end up in jail or something. You know exactly what I am saying!"

"You called him from the bathroom. From the fucking bathroom, Dyuti. What am I supposed to think? You're supposed to be at Molly's but you're at his house and wearing his clothes. Then you do that."

"That you don't have any fucking balls. That's what you're supposed to think. Your family misbehaves with me and you stand there like a spineless fuck. Pratyush gets me out of there and instead of following me, you stay there. He gave me his clothes, because I asked for them. Because I didn't have any. The stuff Molly brought me is in your car. The one decorated heavily. The flashy one.   Whose keys were with you. Did you expect me keep wearing that heavy bridal attire until tomorrow?"

I breathed heavily. He grit his teeth. "I didn't stand there doing nothing at all. I should have done more but I did stand up for you. And I couldn't go after you that's why I called as soon as I could!"

"You didn't stand up for me. You wanted to mess with her. And you video called me because you felt suspicious and possessive."

"No! I stood up for you because you're my wife! I called you because I was concerned about you because again you are my wife! No matter how much that bothers you, you agreed to this!" This time he was breathing heavily.

"You couldn't find out where I was by a normal voice call? You had to see it yourself?"

"Would you have told me you were here if it was a normal call?"

"Of course I would have. Why would I hide?"

He snorted. "Yeah right."

"Ritwik, not everyone is like you and her. Moreover ours is an arrangement, you have no claim over me."

"Will you stop bringing her up?! I should have never fucking told you. It was my bad I thought my assistant could be my friend."

This caused me to laugh ironically. "No, the problem was me. I thought you could be my friend despite knowing you for just a couple months. You don't deserve to be my friend. And your trust issues make sense. You think that the world is one giant fucking mirror."

"It's not fucking about me. You're right. The problem is you. You're the one wearing his clothes even though your friend brought you clothes. You still chose to wear his clothes. Is he your little crush? Is that what this is about? You're upset because you feel called out."

"You're projecting again. You are upset for being called out. And no, he's not the guy I have a crush on, but I am a hundred percent sure I would have been better off being forced to marry him than you."

"Then go ahead. No one's stopping you. Go fuck him for all I care."

"Maybe I would. At least it's better than fucking my dead brother's wife."

The way his expression fell made me regret my words immediately. I had been insinuating at it until then but saying them aloud was a whole different thing. But I couldn't stop. That burning bubbling sensation had reached my mouth and it was practically impossible for me to control my word vomit.

"You wanted her to see that you were happy. You wanted her to hurt. You wanted to payback. That wasn't part of the deal. You acting like a petty possessive shitbag wasn't part of the deal." I felt a lone tear at the corner of my eye. I knew more was coming so I scratched my face and angrily rubbed my eyes. My frustration was going to get me embarrassed.

He looked at me and softly said. "I'll never drink with you."

"Don't. Just let me go. We can get divorced when we legally can."

"I'll tell everyone you fell sick."

"I'll show up for tomorrow."

He shook his head. "No need for your fucki-"

"No. I'll show up. I want to see my uncle getting dragged by your grandfather."

"Okay."

"Cool."

We looked at each for a couple moments then I moved out of the way for Ritwik to leave. I followed him out of the room. Naira was in the living room next to Pratyush. It was clear they had heard everything.

"You're staying with me." Naira said leaving no room for argument. I nodded

"And I'm coming with you." Pratyush said to Ritwik.

"Please, don't." Ritwik's voice was cold and emotionless.

For a moment my throat and head hurt thinking how I treated him compared to how he had treated me for not being able to stand up against my family. I called him spineless when I was actually the one without the metaphorical spine. I bit my lower lip forcing my mouth to stay shut. He needed time before I could apologise.

Why did I always fuck up?