Chapitre 23: Tailspin

╔═..══════════╗
Truth can hurt,
But it heals and shows
Who's really reliable.
MJ1
╚══════════..═╝

The weight of those words made my legs tremble as I sat on the tiled floor of the kitchen, shivers running through my body. The mutation had exhausted my body, and now my mind and heart were being crushed. This kind landlord was like family to me. They were no more. Worse, the Council was enough of a mess, but I had a bigger treat coming after me.

Davon, the King of another Real, is looking for me and the Council is covering their tracks, even finding a random guy I met once and killing him trying to get to me.

Tom tucks his arms under my armpits, helps me to my feet, and leads me to the couch. We sit side by side and he pulls a blanket over my legs before lifting them up and putting them over his.It helps. His touch always calms the storm inside me. I used to get asthma attacks before him, but now I know it was my wolf taking over. Whenever she was too weak to show herself, my magic would surge and bring my nightmares to life. But with him... none of that had happened. His presence was something I needed.

"The board doesn't know about your wolf yet. That's one of the main reasons why I asked you not to tell Lina." Panic overcomes me and makes me tremble.

"But Phil knows. I've demonstrated. The Council would probably betray me if it meant keeping others safe!" A strange feeling grows inside me and her father comes to mind for a split second, but it fades before her last word is spoken aloud.

"Magic is irrelevant so far. The magic usually disappears after the wolf has merged with the wizard. If he had suspected something, it wouldn't be a certainty unless you know how your powers are after today." He reassures me.

"How can you be sure?" I ask him.

"My father is an important member of the Council. I would be one of the first to know."

My eyes widen and I play nervously with my fingernails. "My mother..." I let the word hang in the air as I look down at my hands.

"I don't know exactly what she has to do with this."

That relieves my heart and I nod my head."Does that mean dad traveled back and forth. Between places? In my dream, Leah said that Dad always came back. That means he was supernatural, since Mother is human. But why did the Council keep watching her?" I ask now, looking at him.

He shakes his head."The Council wouldn't allow it to begin with. Going back and forth would be too dangerous for the rest of us. It could end up giving away our position."

I rip the skin off my fingernails with my other hand, make a face, and bring it to my mouth, chewing on it instead. He grabs my hand. When I look at it, it's bleeding. He connects our fingers to prevent me from destroying my nail.

My blood pressure drops, I calmly avoid his gaze and ask. "Does this mean the Council has done something to my father? For disobeying?"