Chapter 59 || An Invitation

Hi suckers :)

Yelena winces when she pours vodka over the gash on her arm. I sit there chuckling at her as Nat brings us over some beers, taking a seat beside me.

Nat stares at a guy in a garage, just getting out of his car and I look over when Yelena speaks up.

"That gas, the counteragent, it was synthesized in secret by an older widow from Melina's generation. I was on the mission to retrieve it, and she exposed me and I killed the widow that freed me."

She has the same guilt ridden look that Natasha did earlier. My heart aches for the two of them, both so haunted by the wretchedness that Dreykov made them partake in. They had no say over what they had done yet they still blame themselves. Natasha was controlled over psychological training, Yelena's entire mind was changed chemically.

"Did you have a choice?" Natasha asks and Yelena sighs, "What you experienced was psychological conditioning. I'm talking about chemically altering brain functions. They're two completely different things. You're fully conscious, but you don't know which part is you. I'm still not sure."

I have to look down for a moment so Yelena doesn't see my forming tears. Natasha moves her chair beside Yelena and starts helping her with her wound. I hand her a napkin that I dampen with the vodka so she can clean up the blood around the wound and I look back at Yelena.

She smiles smally at me before looking at Natasha, her gaze softening when she sees her. I notice the way she still looks up to her older sister, whether or not Natasha admits it, they are sisters.

Yelena always wanted to be like Natasha, even as a kid, she wanted to be as strong and confident as her older sister.

"Kyle, do you think I could be as cool as my sister?"

I chuckle and look down at the blonde while sipping on my milkshake. But when I see the tears dripping from her eyes my heart drops. The kids in front of us are all playing and I see her sister playing soccer with a bunch of them. When she gets slide tackled, she stands right back up and brushes the dirt from her knees, jumping right back into the game.

Turning back to the blonde beside me, I nudge her with a small grin, "Are you kidding? You're the coolest person I know, little one."

"Really?" When she turns her head up at me, she has that adorable yet heart wrenching frown on her face, those big teary eyes ripping me apart.

"Yes, little one. Really." I poke her nose and she giggles now, seemingly happier and more confident before she continues drinking her milkshake.

"Is that all there is left?" Natasha nods at the vials and Yelena nods, "Mhm. It's the only thing that can stop Dreykov and his network of widows," She groans towards the end as Natasha puts pressure around the wound, blowing on it.

She looks at what Natasha is doing, then shakes her head, "He takes more every day. Children who don't have anyone to protect them. Just like us when we were small. Maybe one in 20 survives the training, becomes a widow. The rest, he kills. To him, we are just things. Weapons with no face that he can just throw away. Because there is always more. And no one's even looking for him, thanks to you and Alexei."

"Alexei?" Natasha questions and I glance over, seeing the guy put his keys in the top drawer of a green cabinet, making me smirk victoriously.

That'll be a much simpler getaway.

Yelena hums with a chuckle, "Dad."

Nat finishes patching Yelena up and sits back down, draping an arm over my shoulder. I raise a curious brow at her but she just smirks and drinks her beer, kissing my cheek while Yelena stares off at the man picking up what I presume to be his son.