Chapter 42 || Lucky

Roll Callllll :)

"Your footing is off," I instruct while I take a step behind her and push her down.

She groans from the mat and stands up, "you're a mean teacher."

"I'm not mean, I'm just helping you fix yourself. Your footing was off, that makes you vulnerable."

"I don't understand why I need to do this when I can just do this," she forms red from her fingertips and within seconds I'm lifted up into the air and thrown across the mat.

Groaning, I stand up and shake my head, "you need to learn how to fight hand-to-hand combat without summoning your powers. It'll strengthen you, make you more agile, and when you master more techniques you'll be able to multitask with them and your powers. Now focus. Back to position."

Wanda sighs in frustration and walks over to the center. I join her and we begin our lesson again, repeating until she can get the move down right and have me face down on the mat.

It takes over another hour but she finally gets it, to where I smile in pride and high five her.

"Well well! It's about time!"

She giggles and jumps up and down in excitement, "I finally got it!"

In celebration, I buy us coffee and we head to sit outside, watching Steve lap Sam on repeat outside the compound.

"How you liking it here so far? Adjusting?"

Wanda sips her coffee and nods slowly, shrugging, "It's nice. Not Sokovia, that's for sure. But the team, they've been really great to me. Thank you, for helping me out. I don't know if I would be able to adjust as fast as I have without you."

Smiling gently, I nod and look up at the sun, "No need to thank me. I know what it's like, adjusting to new terrain, new culture completely."

"I can only imagine you've done it countless times before."

Chuckling, I nod and look over at her, "exactly."

"How've your self reflection sessions been going?"

Sitting up straighter, I shrug and clear my throat, "Uh. It's been...hard. Being a god of sun and light...it's kind of funny to see just how much darkness resides inside of me."

"We all have darkness. It's part of our nature as beings. God, alien, human, or anything else. Everyone has it. Just a matter of controlling it."

As she speaks, I notice her staring at her hands, then she lifts one, emitting her red powers into a controlled little orb right from her fingertips.

"I'm still learning to do that myself."

Wanda has got to be the most powerful asset the Avengers have brought in thus far, more powerful than me, even. There comes great power but danger when someone can warp the mind and reality itself. Something about her power is threatening, almost.

She is still getting the hang of it but I can tell there is more to her power than meets the eye, she just needs to get to know it more, almost like it's her child.

"You're doing a great job. We all have been watching your progress. You're talented, strong, smart, level-headed. You're a solid Avenger."

The brunette lets out a snort almost, clasping her hands back together, her red powers disappearing into thin air before she looks at me.

"An Avenger is something I never thought I would call myself."

"Well get used to it. What HYDRA taught you...they manipulated you. You joined them to make the world a better place but they wanted to control it. We, here, want to protect people, fight off any threats to mankind."