Chapter 32 || The Green-Eyed Monster

A/N: Heyooooo, attendance here, little shitheads :)

"He's all over the globe. Robotics labs, weapons facilities, jet propulsion labs, reports of a metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place."

"Fatalities?" I sigh as I walk alongside Maria.

"Only when engaged. Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something 'too fast to see.'"

Sighing, I lead her up the stairs as I shake my head, "Maximoffs. Well, that makes sense he'd go to them, they have someone in common."

"Not anymore." She hands me her tablet with an image of Strucker dead, his blood spelling out "PEACE" on the wall behind his dead body.

Grunting I hand it back to her and head towards the team but she stops me, pulling me aside.

"I need to ask you something."

"Right now?" I raise an eyebrow and she glances down, biting her lip anxiously while processing her thoughts. She's serious.

And I'm being an ass.

"What is it, Maria?" I try to smile gently, playfully tapping her arm to lighten up the mood.

She cracks a small grin but glances inside at the team. I follow her gaze and see Natasha watching us through the glass wall. Her eyes are glaring between us, but she just raises an eyebrow at me, then turns her head away.

 Her eyes are glaring between us, but she just raises an eyebrow at me, then turns her head away

What was that about?

"You and Romanoff. What's going on there?"

"Wait, what?" Now she has my full attention. Is she asking if we are together?

"Don't play stupid. I've picked up on things and so has everyone else. Clint told me you guys kissed in Sokovia? I just wanted to be sure that you are...well, you know...off limits?"

I nearly stumble back but I don't. I never expected Hill to ask me something like this. Sure, we had a thing but that was...a while ago. I mean, before I became an Avenger.

"Maria...Tasha and I-" "Tasha..." She chuckles and shakes her head, making me frown and grab her before she walks away.

"I didn't know you still-" "It's no big deal, Kaden. What happened with us was years ago, I should've moved on but I haven't and seeing you two flirting all the time...I just wasn't sure. Stupid of me, huh? It's kind of obvious you two are together anyways. I was just trying to trick myself into believing it wasn't real."

I don't even know what to say. How the hell was I supposed to know? Sure, Hill flirts with me but it's harmless, or so I thought. I just figured that was how our friendship was. Wow, I am an idiot. I am a woman who can't even read other women...maybe it's because I have male organs, could that make me more oblivious to a woman's emotions and thoughts?