Thirty | Platonic Soulmates

- Aviva Jones -

I get a text from my parents telling me to come outside. They're here?

I don't usually see my parents because they travel together for business. They own multiple business around the world and help charities too. So for that reason, I don't mind not seeing them much if it's for a good cause.

In all fairness, I didn't expect them to come - sure the ceremony is already over, but better late than ever.

"Aviva, mon bébé! Comment ça va?" My mom asks. Once I reach their car.
My baby, how are you?

"I'm good mama." I give them both hugs.

"Wow, you've really grown up haven't you. We heard everything, top of your class and doing well in netball? We're so proud of you." My dad says. That in itself almost lives me to tears. They've motivated me a lot, so to hear their appreciation is one of the most fulfilling feelings.

"Thank you dad, but how did you get here? I thought you had a meeting tomorrow."

"We do, but we couldn't miss your ceremony." When I raise my eyebrow he corrects himself, "ok fine. We couldn't not see you on such as important day for you."

I hear footsteps behind me and turn to see Cameron.

"Cameron, is that you?" My mom asks.

"Hey Mr and Mrs Jones." He greets, walking up to me. "Nice to see you again."

My dad smiles and shakes Cameron's hand firmly. "How have you been?"

Cameron falls into conversation with my dad, and his hand finds mine and clasps it with a light squeeze. My mom doesn't miss it as she asks me.

"Aviva darling, est il ton petit ami? quelque chose que tu veux me dire?" A smile in her voice.
Is he your boyfriend? Anything you want to tell me?

I look to Cameron and he's already smiling at me subtly - he heard her and he's waiting for my response.

"Oui maman." I nod and his smile grows bigger while talking to my dad.
Yes mom.

"il est parfait pour toi, je savais que tu finirais avec lui bien assez tôt." She hums in approval. I turn away from her as my checks heat up.
he's perfect for you, i knew you would end up with him soon enough.

She's got that maternal instinct, makes sense after having three kids. Cam and my dad finish their conversation and my parents hug me goodbye. My dad did say that they had a meeting so needed to catch their flight.

When they drive off in their car, Cam turns to me with a sly smile, "So I'm perfect for you, huh?"

I tap his nose and rest my head on his chest mumbling something stupid under my breath.

He chest vibrates with laughter and he takes my hand. "We can go back inside, but they're asking a bunch of questions."

I follow him inside the hall and find our friends again.

"Ooh, they were gone for too long. Getting busy, huh?" Bruno says as we sit down. Joyce nudges his arm and Cam goes red in the face which makes me laugh.

"So now you're here, you can tell us the juicy details about how you got together." Joyce says. Stella leans forward crossing one leg over the other, intrigued.

"Maybe another time," I excuse, checking the time on my phone.

"Mean girl with crazy boyfriend incoming." Marcel whispers subtly, bringing a glass to his lips.