Two | Caleb

-Cameron Hayes-

School's over and I'm heading off to work. Nothing really happened today, apart from Mrs Morrell being a pain.

You'd think that she would've warmed up to us after all this time, and since I did so well in my test?

But no, she came back from summer with a needle up her nose or something.

She gave me the most grief in class today. I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I'm acing her classes, you'd think she'd lay off a bit. But maybe I'm overthinking it.

To be fair, it's understandable why she doesn't like me. I really like psychology, but my older brother Caleb drove her insane. Obviously, since we're siblings, she thinks we're the same, but in all honesty I'm nothing like Caleb.

He's annoying, brooding, scary, I think you get the idea. I, on the other hand, am more of a menace than he is, I'll admit. But never to Mrs Morrell.

I reach my car and throw my bag in the car. Usually, I don't work on weekdays, but I swapped shifts with another worker to cover, so I won't be working on Saturday.

Lucky me.

My friends all stop by to bother me while I work, so when they heard I was working today, they made it clear that their only mission is to piss me off today.

There's a group of us: Me, Marcel, Bruno, and Annie. Me and Marcel have been best friends forever. Bruno was my neighbour and we just clicked. We met Annie in high school and she more or less fit right in.

I arrive at the rollerblading rink 'Roller Race'. Not very creative - but it gets the point across. In the near distance I see the rest of my friends getting out of Marcel's car. I catch up with them and walk with Marcel.

"So you on tables today or is it the till?" Marcel asks.

"Tables." I reply, taking his keys and spinning them around my finger. He nods and we catch up with Bruno and Annie walking in together.

I take my backpack out and sign in. Going into the bathroom to change into my work uniform. My friends sit at a table, while I put my backpack in the staff lockers.

When I walk back out and put my name tag on and begin. My friends take the opportunity to actually go roller skating instead of annoying me. So I get my their sizes and give them the rollerblades to collect upfront.

As I walk out of the front counter a bunch to 15 year olds giggle and call out my name. I give them a polite smile and wave and walk on. I'm not too sure how they know my name. I'm not out much so they probably go to our school.

I get that this is work, but the uniform is really uncomfortable. Every time my friends see me they compare me to a clown, which I don't appreciate. I'm just thankful that my family don't come here while I'm working.

Usually I'm distributing wristbands and rollerblades, so I'm not seen in front of the desk. But now everyone can see how ridiculous I look. But I get paid so I can't really complain.

"Cameron!" I turn to see who's calling my name. It's Jules - my boss. "Table 14 needs their order taken. Get to it."

I give her a thumbs up in reply and walk over to the table.

Jules is a harsh boss. When she's in, you never get a break. It's constant nagging and criticism from her. I don't understand why she gets so worked up. There's not much to this job anyway.

Table 14 happens to be my friends. Lovely.

"Hey guys, what do you want to order?" I ask, holding up my pen and mini notebook also taking away the menu.