Six | Movie

- Aviva Jones -

Right now I'm walking through town to get to SneakerWorld. A few days ago, I spoke to Stella, an old friend of mine that works there and she managed to get me an interview.

I've known Stella since elementary school, she's the only person in Waterford that I like, really.

I walk in and Stella immediately greets me with a hug. "Hey Avi, perfect timing. Let me introduce you to Martha, the boss. You'll love her."

She leads the way to the back of the store and it smells like new shoes. Stella nudges her head towards a door, indicating for me to knock on it.

So I do just that. When I here a quiet 'come in' from the other side, I walk in and Stella comes with me.

"Hey Marv, this is my friend Aviva. She's looking for a job."

Well, that's one way to do it.

Martha is a middle aged lady, she seems nice. She gets up and looks at me up and down.

Okay....

Then she beams up at me and Stella, "You're hired!"

"Really? Thank you, but what about an interview. I could be a serial killer or something." I say, scratching my head.

"Well are you a serial killer, dear?" She replies, humouring me.

"Well no, I'm not-."

"Then it's settled, you can start right now if you want. I trust Stella's judgment, if you're a friend of hers, I'm glad to have you."

Stella swings her arm around my shoulders weighing me down and grinning at me with the biggest smile.

"I told you, you'll love her."

And I have a feeling she's right.

***

"Ok so what do I do first?" I ask, placing my lanyard around my neck. My hair is in two puffs today so it's easier to get it over my head.

"So," Stella says, "We've got to restock the shelves with new shoes, and change the mannequins. It's not that bad, we can split it. What do you want to do?"

I choose changing the mannequins and get to work. "Hey Stel?"

"Yeah! Give me a second." She replies from the other side of the store, I notice her carrying a stack of boxes and go to assist her.

"Ok girl, what's up?" She asks.

"It's about Alexis." I look at her for a reaction and she rolls her eyes.

"Please don't tell me you got back together with him?" She begs, eyes pleading.

I widen my eyes in shock at the crazy assumption. "God no, been there once and never again. But I think he's come back to bother me."

Stella tilts her head in alarm and walks over to an ottoman sitting down, then she pulls out a chair from nowhere and tells me to sit.

I sit down and take a deep breath.

"Ok girl, continue."

"I was at netball practice and it was over, I was walking to my car with Joyce and he was standing in front of it."

"How does he know what your car looks like?"

Now that I think about it. How does he know?

"It's a small town" I shrug.

"Not that small" she mutters. I dismiss that comment and continue,

"Then he came up to me all nice in the beginning, I'll admit. I wanted to leave but then he grabbed my arm and started threatening me? I don't know."