Twenty | New York

- Cameron Hayes -

Aviva's still laying on my chest scrolling through her phone. We've just been sitting here, and I don't want to leave.

Then she lifts her head to meet my eyes, "I'll be back. I'm going to the bathroom real quick." She kisses my chest right above my heart and attempts to run for the bathroom.

While she's in there I take the time to sit up and look around at her dorm. Aviva doesn't have a roommate so she's all alone here. Her desk can be used as a vanity and it's pretty cozy in here.

There's a knock on the door but Aviva isn't out yet. After waiting a while, the knocking persists and I get up to open the door.

Damn girl, what is talking so long?

Standing on the other side is Joyce, with wide eyes and a gaping mouth. I give her a timid smile and step back as she walks into the room.

Joyce analyses everything in the room, trying to piece everything together. I can practically hear the gears turning in her head.

Aviva chooses this time to walk out of the bathroom, drying her face with a towel. I'm assuming she's just brushed her teeth.

"Hey Cam, there's a spare toothbru-." She pauses midway noticing Joyce's presence.

"Aviva Merliah Jones." Joyce calls out. I turn and notice Aviva wince st the use of her full name.

Joyce points to us two with an accusatory finger, "Are you two? Well y'know?"

We both look at each other, and Aviva's eyes seem to divert. So I walk up to her, placing my hand on her waist and kissing the side of her head.

"Yep, we are."

***

"You're crazy." Is the first thing that comes out of the girls mouth after Joyce leaves. Seriously, crazy? I don't quite think that is the right term to use.

I decide to dismiss that comment in it's entirety, "Merliah? Like the mermaid princess?"

Her eyes widen and she turns to me. "You know about her?" When I nod, he continues, "My parents let Riva come up with the name. It's cute." She shrugs.

"So will I have to call you princess Aviva or something?" I laugh.

In response she groans and covers her face with a pillow, blocking my voice out.

"Don't try and change the subject Cam. What on earth do you mean 'Yep, we are.'" She makes inverted commas with her hands and deepens her voice.

"First of all, I totally don't sound like that. Second of all, what is so bad about that? Just go along with it. You didn't disagree when she was there, did you?"

Her eyes narrow, but she knows I'm right. "Listen, it doesn't have to be a big thing Aviva. Here's the thing. I have a feeling you like me, deep deep down."

Aviva rolls her eyes but there's a small smile trying to break free. So I continue.

"And deep, deep down, I know you have a feeling that I like you." I shrug. "We can keep this private if you want. I know you don't appreciate the attention."

Her eyes soften at my last sentence and she gets up to look at me. "Are you asking me out Camcam? Cause I was expecting flowers or a big gesture from you." She grins.

That's when I know I've won her over. I extend my arms out to her and she comes in for a hug. "Don't worry Jones, that will all come soon." I respond, kissing her head.