One | Welcome back

- Aviva Jones -

I should open the door. I'm already late.

It's my first day of my sophomore year in college and I've just been standing outside the door, peering into the mini window. Not for any particular reason. Just checking for who our teacher is this year.

We have new seats. Everyone has already chosen their places. Great. I'm also fully aware that there's someone behind me - and they're way too close.

"So are you planning on walking in? Or are we bunking together?"

I internally groan and whizz around to match a face to the voice. I have a feeling that I already know who it is. Cameron.

Cameron Hayes has been my biggest obstacle, since - well, the beginning of time. See the thing is: we get along fine, and dance around the line of friendship but we've had this ongoing 'rivalry' for as long as I remember. As annoying as he is, I have to commend him. He is one of the main reasons I actually come into school.

That, amongst other things...

One of the few things that keep me going is academic validation. We've all been there, and to put it simply, beating Cameron is my favourite thing about my day. He feels the same way about me, I would assume. There's nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition, right?

"Nice to see you too Camcam," I smirk, "After you." I smile and gesture towards the door so he can open it.

He rolls his eyes, giving me a sarcastic smile. I walk after him as he strolls into the classroom as if we're not late. At this point, class is about to start and everyone has taken their seats.

We walk in and the class all face us.

"Thank you for joining us Mr Hayes oh, and Miss Jones, you too? why am I not surprised?" Mrs Morrell complains. We've had her every single year and she knows Cameron and I can be quite the duo. We either work really well together. Or can't stand each other and the whole thing ends in chaos.

I merely shrug in slight embarrassment as I look to the board, to find out where I'm sitting. Once I find my name and my seat, I begin to take my stuff out for the lesson. The seat behind me shifts, I suppose my partner has found their seat.

Sitting upright I turn to see who's sitting next to me. An arm wraps around my shoulders and Cameron laughs at my startled expression.

"Looks like we're partners for the year Jones. I can't wait to spend my year annoying the shit out of you." He grins.

I'm about to respond when Mrs Morrell walks up to me and hands me my test paper back from last year. Cameron receives his test and he shoves it towards his chest eying me with caution.

I smirk and count down silently from 3. He nods and counts down with me and when we reach one, we reveal our test papers and lay them out on the desk.

We got the same score.

We both got 100%.

Mrs Morrell asks for the class' attention as she speaks, "Well done everyone, you all did well. Some more than others." She stares right at me and Cameron. "Hopefully you finish your last year on a positive." After finishing her little speech, she goes to her laptop and prepares the lesson.

Cameron sits back on his chair, crosses his arms and groans "When is this cycle going to end, it's getting painful."

I laugh with him and hit my head on the table repeatedly with not so quiet thuds. I turn to him, head still on the desk, and motion for him to come closer. Cameron listens and brings his ear to my head and I whisper, "One day, I'm going to beat you and you have no idea how satisfying it'll be."