Twenty - Four | Progress

- Cameron Hayes -

*5 years ago*

"Cam, come here." Caleb beckons. I sit next to him on his bed and wait for him to speak.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Nothing, just wanted to give you some advice for when you find the one." He replies. I tilt my head waiting for him to elaborate. "I'm talking about when you find your first love." He shrugs.

"What about them?"

"Well my young boy," He mocks, patting me on my shoulders. "There will be a time when you find someone and you look at them the same way mum looks at dad. Before you ask, no there isn't a way of knowing, it will happen all at once. Like a slap to the face."

I start laughing, "That sounds a bit painful."

"True," He concedes, "but you'll find that it will all be worth it. The only question you have to ask yourself is: Is she worth it? Then you'll end up falling in love, that is even scarier in my opinion, because you've got a big heart and it's extremely fragile. But if you end up falling in love, I'm sure we'll all love her too. You've got good judgment, most of the time."

"Wow, when did you turn so sentimental?" I cross my arms not believing a word he just said.

"It comes with the age." He smirks, his eyes lift as he watches Aviva with Joyce and Stella, out the window, "I bet that you'll end up with her. You too would be one hell of a match."

"Jones? Never going to happen." I declare.

Caleb's eyes shift to me, totally unconvinced. "If you say so," he sing-songs, "but when you end up together, I expect a bar of chocolate from you." With that, he gets up and leaves his room.

*Present day*

I guess I owe Caleb a bar of chocolate.

Turning to my side, I find Toulouse fast asleep on the blanket. Aviva's arms are wrapped around me and she's laying on my chest, I've gathered that, this is her favourite position to sleep in when we're together. I'm not complaining at all.

The front door knocks and I hear it open. I check the time and realise that it's 10:30. So it's probably Marcel.

"Yo Hayes! Where you at?" Marcel yells from the hallway.

Maybe if I just pretend I'm asleep.

"I'm going into your room now. So you better be up." He says.

Aviva begins to stir and her head pops up at his voice. She looks to me with a tired smile, and rolls off my chest onto her side.

That's become so normal for me to say. Her side.

"You sleep okay?" I ask, cupping her face. I lean in and she swerves her head with a light laugh.

"I'm just a bit tired. Morning breath sweetheart." She excuses.

I roll my eyes and whisper, "Just be quiet for me." This time she doesn't swerve and I place a light kiss on her lips. "Good morning."

She smiles and ducks under the covers as Marcel walks in, effectively covering her body.

"Bro what are you still doing in bed?" He asks. I can only watch as the gears turn in his head, trying to piece everything together. Then his eyes light up in realisation. "Have you got a someone in here? I smell perfume."

I try to shush him but his eyes light up with mischief. "Seriously? I thought you liked Aviva. Damn, where is she anyway? I knew your room smelt different." He continues.