Eighteen | Happy Birthday

- Aviva Jones -

Today is Cameron's birthday and I've been spending all week trying to find a present for him. Trust me, I've contacted all of his friends to get some sort of idea of what to get him.

They're organising a surprise birthday party for him, I'm not too sure how that's going to go. He's not really a party, kind of guy. But who knows?

After finishing my shift at SneakerWorld, I head to Marcel's house to help decorate for the party. The last time I went to a party things didn't end so well, but because it's for Cameron I'll make the exception. But if anyone tells him that - I'll deny it.

"Avi, thanks for making it. Question, can you make a cocktail?" Marcel asks as soon as the door opens.

"I can make a decent cocktail. You'll have to ask Stella."

"She does!" Stella confirms, shouting from afar. I'm not too sure why we're so accustomed to drinking despite the fact that we're all younger than 21. In other places you only have to be 18, so I guess that's why.

I walk in and begin to help decorate the living room with birthday banners. Marcel walks up to me and hands me scotch tape.

"Did you find what to get him?"

"No, it's literally impossible." I sigh, "I have an idea, but it isn't a present, present per say."

He waves me off, "Don't even worry. It doesn't matter what you get or don't get him. You literally have a child with him. He's smitten enough."

The room goes pin drop silent and I realise everyone heard what he just said.

"You have a what with who?" Joyce starts.

"You're pregnant?" asks Bruno.

"You and who?" Stella finishes.

I give Marcel a deadly glare and he throws his hands up in surrender while I get bombarded with questions.

"Guys, I'm not pregnant. I have a cat, and Cameron takes care of him as well. 'Co-parenting' his name is Toulouse."

I take out my phone and show them pictures of our kitten so they all calm down. When they take a breath of relief I turn my phone off and tuck it into my pocket.

"So what I'm getting. Is that you're married with a child already? Guys we've been slacking." Bruno cries.

Oh boy...

***

- Cameron Hayes -

"Tell me Lucy. Why do you like your mom so much, but never listen to me? Has she got something I don't?"

Toulouse stares back at me with his bright green eyes as if he has no idea what I'm saying. I don't blame him. I'm now a twenty year old, talking to a cat on his birthday. No place I'd rather be.

After bothering him for long enough I let him go and he wanders into my room again. When my phone rings.

"Happy Birthday Cam!" My mom says.

"Thanks mom,"

"Are you at home on your own?" She asks, growing concerned.

"No, I have a new kitten with me. His name is Toulouse, Lucy for short" I answer.

"Lucy, for a boy? That's a little strange." She responds.

"No mom, it's a cool name for a cool cat. Lucy suits him just fine."

She concedes, "Ok, Cameron if you say so - what is going on?"

We both hear something falling and I run into my bedroom. My laptop is dangling over the edge of my desk. "Toulouse, get off my desk please. You'll be living with your mom if you're not careful."

He looks at me extremely confused and I drop my head in defeat, going back to my mom, "I've lost the plot, mom. I'm talking to a cat as if he can understand me."

She looks back at me thoroughly amused. "Who's the mom?"

"Oh would you look at the time! It's getting late, I'll talk to you later mom. Love you." I end the call swiftly and toss my phone on my bed, scooping Lucy up and bringing him to my bed, since he seems to hate his own.

But of course, Lucy being Lucy - he doesn't fall asleep but instead he follows me into the kitchenette. He might as well help me make out cupcakes, since I'm bored.

I get his chef apron and hat that Aviva got him 'in case he wanted to learn how to cook'. When we went to look for pet things she went and got several outfits for him to wear for any special occasion. Usually, when Aviva is here he dresses without a problem. Clearly a mommy's boy.

But since he knows his mom won't be so happy if he isn't wearing with attire, he's going to wear it. After placing his chef hat on, I turn on the tv and play miraculous. Aviva seems to love that show, and apparently so does Toulouse because he looks like plagg the kwami? I'm not too sure.

I pull out a cupcake recipe and take out a mixing bowl. Let's make some cupcakes.

***

"Why are you watching miraculous and eating cupcakes alone, on your birthday?" I turn to see Marcel walking in.

"I'm not alone. Lucy is here." I point towards Lucy who's watching the tv intently. I pick up a cupcake and stuff in in my mouth, "Want one?" I offer to Marcel.

"No I'm good. But I'm going to need you to get ready, because we're going out." That peaks my interests.

"Where are we going?"

"Anywhere but this apartment. Bruno will come too, so dress somewhat decently." I scrunch my nose up and walk into my room.

"Bossy boots." I mutter under my breath, childishly.

"Yeah, yeah I heard that by the way. Hurry up!" He yells from outside the door.

"I'm coming geez." Once I'm changed, I place my rings on my fingers and spray my cologne before leaving my room.

Once I'm out I notice Marcel on his phone and he looks up at me. Giving me a nod of approval, he switches the tv off and picks Lucy up. "Ok, let's go."

***

Marcel takes a little pit stop at Aviva's dorm. She doesn't come out, but he goes in with Lucy and drops her off. He gets back in without a word and drives to his house.

When we arrive he turns off the engine but I remain seated. "Marcel you said we were going out?"

"Correct, I also said anywhere but this apartment. Bruno is waiting inside."

Smartass.

I take Marcel's key and unlock the door walking in first. It's pitch black, so I find the light and switch it on.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" a group of people yell when the lights are on. My soul flies out of my body, as I fear for my life.

Marcel claps my back, "Happy Birthday brother. Welcome to your party."

They threw me a surprise party. Oh, I'm a bit slow.

"Thanks guys." I walk around and thank everyone as I go to get a drink. Everyone is having a good time and cake gets distributed about. Me getting the biggest slice.

Usually for me, cake is a hit or miss. I can be quite picky about it, but this cake was great. My brother Caleb is here, with his friends. A couple work friends and some people I've met in college or had a conversation with. Except Aviva...

An arm swings around my shoulders and I see Bruno grinning at me, raising a red cup. "To the birthday boy!" He makes a toast and everyone follows suit.

I can still enjoy my birthday if she isn't here, right?

Happy birthday to me.

***

Happy Birthday Cameron! Can he really enjoy his birthday without her? And what is the surprise 👀

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, make sure to vote and comment. See you at the next one!

- Coco <3