Eight | School Spirit I

- Aviva Jones -

I finish boiling off my knotless braids and pull it up into a bun. After school and work, I decided that it was a good idea to do my braids the day before the rematch.

Of course, because it took so long - all night to be precise - I haven't slept. But all the training from the weeks prior should be enough.

My phone rings and it's Levi again, yesterday he called me to let me know he was coming over bro watch the match with his fiancée.

I've met her before and she's great, so I'm glad to be welcoming her to the family.

"Hey little sis, I'm letting you know. We'll be down soon."

"No problem, I'm on my way to the court. I hope you've brought money. External visitors have to pay unfortunately." I say slightly frowning.

"Don't worry about that, I've got it covered. I'll see you later."

"Bye Lee." I end the call and drive to the court to start training.

When I arrive most of the team is there, and so it Waterford. For this rematch, they've made it more serious, in naming it a 'formal tournament'.

Meaning there's team A and there's team B. So there will be several matches A vs A, B vs B and A vs B.

It's bound to be a long day and I'm not sure I have enough energy for it.

I meet Joyce at the entrance and she's wearing the new netball dresses we got, as am I. It's an emerald green colour with gold detailings. Our positions are placed on with Velcro on the middle of our dresses.

Waterford has a baby blue version also with gold detailings. I'll admit, they are very pretty. But that won't deter me from absolutely smashing their team. Hopefully..

In a professional team, apparently there aren't any wings as players - at least according to Waterford. Our school adds them, for more inclusion for people who want to play, so there are less substitutes.

But I don't see any wings on Waterford's team. As I notice this, coach calls me over and I jog to her.

When I approach her she grimaces and I can tell this won't be a good sign.

"Coach?"

"We have to cut down the team. I need your help breaking it to the team."

Why?

It's like she reads my mind as she continues.

"Waterford didn't bring any wings, so it would be unfair to have more people on our team. We have to cut down A and B team." I shake my head and groan.

"Why would they let us know so late? That's not fair on all the people that have been training for today. How do you even play without wings?"

She holds her hands up in surrender, "I'm sorry captain, but it's not up to me, it's the umpires so don't shoot the messenger."

I nod and take a couple breathes calming myself down. It's not her fault, but I feel for the people who thought they were going to play but won't. And even if, there would be too many substitutes. So not everyone would get to play anyway.

Joyce runs up to me and pats me on the shoulder. I give her a sullen look and her smile immediately drops.

I round up the rest of the team and we gather around with coach by my side.

I clap my hands and wonder how I'm going to tell them. "Well guys, today we're playing against Waterford right?"

I hear murmurs of 'yes' around the circle. Then I continue.