Nine | School Spirit II

- Cameron Hayes -

"Did you see that? Was that Annie?" Bruno asks.

It's the first match of the day and Annie knocked Aviva over twice. The first time was a little push, the second time she shoved her completely and I'm pretty sure Jones is bleeding. Nothing too serious but...

"Yes it was, listen guys I'll be right back." I say getting up and walking down the stairs. Yeah sure we won, but Jones is hurt so I want to check if she's ok.

As I walk towards the court, an umpire or coach, whatever comes and blocks me from going any further. He's talking about something or telling me off, I'm not quite sure.

Blah, blah, blah. I pay him no mind as I call Aviva's name. She turns around and says something to her friends before walking up to me.

"Hi coach, can you let him through, it's really important. He won't be long, I promise." She negotiates.

The coach grumbles and lets me through. I smirk as I walk past him and Aviva and I walk over to the bench.

" I saw what happened are you alright?" I ask, jumping straight to the point.

She laughs, "You can't get rid of me that easily Camcam. I'm ok, but you seriously need to talk to your friend."

I look at Annie who's talking with the team as if nothing happens, I've noticed occasionally she turns this way but then turns back. This time she turns and waves at me.

I smile but don't return the gesture, as I look back at Aviva.

"Have you seen my brother?" She randomly asks.

I shake my head no, and she stands up. "He's over there with his girl Elianna." She points to a couple who are looking at a picture of something on his phone.

"I'm going to talk to Annie." This all seems like unnecessary drama that started from nowhere. Drama that I can't be asked for.

"Hey Annie, can we talk?" She turns to me and nods with a smile.

"Hey, Cam. Everything alright?"

"What happened back there? Aren't you on the same team, you were kinda rough out there."

Her eyes widen and she laughs awkwardly, "I don't really need you telling me how to play netball Cam. It's just a game. This is how I usually play." She tilts her head.

"If Aviva had a problem, she would come and tell me. But she seems fine to me." She shrugs.

My jaw drops and I rub my temples, "You pushed her over to the ground. I doubt that's how you actually play, regardless of how much I know about the game."

"I don't understand what you're trying to say Cam. And I seriously doubt you'd have an issue if it was any other girl."

Wait that's what this is about?

"I still would have an issue, because they're human beings." I reply incredulously, placing my hand over my eyes to shield them from the sun.

"Listen Annie, I don't understand what your problem is but you need to cool off, seriously. When you're ready then you can talk to me."

It's a little bit harsh, but I'd rather stay 10 feet away from people like that.

"You're kidding." She deadpans.

I exhale and slowly place my hands in my pockets, "I'll see you around Annie."

I don't give myself the chance to look at her face, or else I'll feel bad and take it all back. So I walk away and head back to the bleachers.