Thirteen | Friends

- Aviva Jones -

This whole week has been a bit chaotic. I've more or less finished my paper, and I'm about to hand it in.

Cameron walks through the door and sits opposite me, out of breath. I think he's just come from the gym?

"You just come from the gym?" I ask. Not wanting to maintain eye contact when he lifts his shirt to wipe his forehead.

"Yep," he chirps, "ready to submit the essay?"

I nod, but don't bring myself to send it through. To be honest I worked really hard on this essay, so seeing it being sent off and not having control of it, is sending me over the edge.

Noticing my hesitation, Cam grabs my hand in his, "You'll be fine. We'll still be friends after this okay?"

Right, friends...

I clear my throat with a strained smile. He lets go as Marcel, Bruno and Joyce come over to sit at our table.

Joyce immediately throws her arm around my shoulders and brings me close for a side hug. "Have you submitted it yet?"

We shake our heads in reply. "Ok, since you guys are making a big deal out of it. We'll send it. Joyce you do Aviva's, I'll do Cam's and Bruno does the countdown. Agreed?"

Everyone agrees as Bruno counts down.

3
2
1

"Send." Joyce and Marcel click the button at the same time, and I slug back at the essay received message.

"Now to break the ice, why don't we do some shopping." Joyce smirks.

"No thanks." Marcel says, getting up. Joyce looks to Bruno and he sighs in defeat tossing her his keys.

She claps excitedly and they leave.

And then there were two...

"What do you want to do?" He asks, switching off his laptop and placing it in his bag. I do the same and stand up.

"Well, I don't really have anything to do, so I'll be going back to my dorm. I guess.." answering awkwardly.

He gives a stiff nod and I walk away. It's obvious that we're still tense about sending in our papers. Because there's no classes today, I'm stuck in my dorm all day.

When I reach my dorm and lie on my bed. Not even five minutes later, there's a knock on the door.

I've already changed into more comfortable clothes and one of Cameron's hoodies - which I forgot to give back.

I unlock the door and open it up to see Cameron. "You have nothing to do right?" I nod, not understanding where this is going. "Let's get some ice cream."

***

"So most of your family live down in New York?" I ask. Listening to his very interesting life story.

He hums in response, "Yes, my dad's side anyway. As much as I'd love to visit them, it's much colder down there than up here."

I understand, around Manteno, the weather doesn't seem to get that cold, until the middle of winter. Until then, the weather seems to be okay.

"What are you doing for thanksgiving?" I ask.

"Probably nothing. I'll go back home and be with the family. How about you?"

"My parents are off on business trips abroad, so I'm going to order in and enjoy myself in my dorm."

He narrows his eyes at me, as if I'm lying but I look away, and play with the ring on my finger.