Chapter 99: Regression To the Mean?

Kessal's POV:Looking around for where Kalli had vanished too I feel an overwhelming sense of loss

Kessal's POV:
Looking around for where Kalli had vanished too I feel an overwhelming sense of loss. Worse than when I was told she was dead. Somehow seeing her and having her dangled over my head before vanishing cut to the heart more. Shattered it more to see her so close yet so far and then vanish in the blink of an eye. In my head, Alex whines again, partially from the vanishing of Kalli but also because he couldn't feel Lana.

Where are Lana and Kalli Kessal? Alex's voice is a low whine and it hurts me to hear my wolf in so much pain. But I can't help him since I don't know how to make it better. I can't see Kalli but was positive that she's lost, Lana. Either temporarily or permanently I can't be sure. I just know Lana's gone. For now. Where is Kalli? Where's Lana? I can't feel them, can you? Again Alex keeps trying to figure it out but I can't help him any more than I could help myself. And I hate that we're stuck like this since there seems to be no end in sight.

I - I don't know buddy, I wish I could help you but I can't reach Kalli and I don't think she can reach Lana. As if she's gone either temporarily or she's dead. I know my words do little to help either of us but it's like I'm stuck. Stuck somewhere I can't get out.

"Heya Kess, are you ok?" Dana's voice from my left has me watching where she's still trying to console Livy where Dana refused to let the redheaded young woman go, her golden-blue eyes tearful and fixed on Russel's shadowed figure across the space. Aching to reach the other half she doesn't know yet but has already lost. Someone who will never come back to her if what Kalli managed to fleetingly show me happened is true.

"Worried about too many people," I mutter, looking at her over Autumn's head where my friend was resting her head on my shoulder where I'd gone to comfort her when Ace's dark wolf had made an appearance. "How are we supposed to do this when we don't even know the whole other side of this secret?" I keep my eyes on Dana and notice that she's clocked, at least in part, what I was meaning. "How are we supposed to end them once and for all when we don't know where Kalli has gone?"

"I don't know how we can do it, Kess. we were already outnumbered and we've now almost lost Kalli. With or without Lana being alive to help her she's trapped goddess knows where. How can we fight her when we've already lost - LIVY! LIVY NO!" Dana's voice cuts off then and I notice what she's looking at. Only then it's too late for me to do anything.

Kalliope's POV:

The lightning blinds me as soon as Sila, Nyx and the Triskelion cast it. I want to move my arms to avoid looking at it but it's impossible given the tight silver chains around me. I tried to avoid them, to get away before I was trapped, but it was no good. I'm not strong enough to fight off Heidi and Angel. Especially since when the lighting comes I feel a dark magic whip coil around me from my head to my toes. Cutting bloody furrows into my skin and breaking me more. Add to that Angel's use of magic and her blade coupled with Heidi's strongest three shots yet - one per shoulder and over my spine - I can do nothing more than moan as the sensation of me falling and then being pulled comes. The action caused the silver restraints to tighten around me and dig the hidden, hex-imbued spikes into me so I'm powerless and one hurt away from breaking completely and slipping into the kind of coma I don't know if our side has the resources to pull me out of.