Chapter 24: Questions of Ancestry and Heritage

Two Weeks Later

Two Weeks Later

Kalliope's POV:

It's been weeks. Almost a month since Dana and I had eavesdropped on our parents talking about both the legacy we were a part of as well as the other things that entailed. But neither of us had confronted them yet. Not sure what would happen when or if we did. But Dana wanted to. She was all for exposing the lies but I held her back, trying to think with logic and not emotion. To make it a smart move and not a reckless one.

"I still think we should talk to them," Dana says, looking between me and Braeden where she was cuddled next to him. He frowns at her but I don't notice it, Kessal's hand through mine grounding me the way I'd seen my mom and dad do for one another. "I still think we should talk to them, Kalli." She tries to talk to me but my mind's elsewhere until Kessal taps my shoulder and I snuggle closer, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"You ok baby?" He sounds like he wants to ask me something else but I can see the concern in Kessal's amber eyes that makes me feel warm inside. "What's wrong babe, talk to me. Alex and I can't help if you and Lana don't talk to us." He sounds like he wants to say more on the subject but stops when I just sigh and remain silent.

"Sorry love," I replied, shuffling closer until Kessal's arms could go around me and I could rest my head on his shoulder where his head was on top of mine. "I'm sorry baby, I just don't know what to say. I want to trust them both so much. I want to trust my parents but I don't know what they were talking about that would make them so afraid. Besides the symbol that is." The words slip out of me without my consent and I see Kessal frown. The expression was mirrored by the rest of our gathered group of friends.

"Symbol?" He sounds confused and I wait to see if he'll tell me more but my mate just remains silent, his amber eyes lost in some memory of the past before he blinks and snaps out of it. "What symbol babe? Can you explain it?" He gives me a searching look that has me sighing and trying to figure out how to explain the symbol that had disturbed both me and Lana ever since we'd seen it. "Kal?"

"It looked like this," I mumbled, using the mate bond between us to show him the symbol my parents had found carved on the palace doors. Kessal continues to frown for a second before shock crosses his face and he shudders once. Something that doesn't escape my notice since both Dana and Braeden had done the same thing when Kessal had. "Are you ok?" My compassion flares up then and I see him try to offer me a small smile but it's a wasted effort since although we hadn't completed it yet I could still feel the strong Mate Bond between us. Letting me know how deep my words - and the image in my head - had managed to hit home with him. The pain in those beautiful amber eyes was all too visible to me for it to be ignored. "I'm so sorry Kess, I didn't mean to," I mumble then, hearing him give a low laugh. "Seriously," I look up to see him offering me a wider smile but like the last one, it's tinged with sadness. "So sorry Kess, I never meant to hurt you," I mumble, looking away and resting my head more securely on his shoulder where his arms were still around me. Holding me.