Chapter 25: Parental Problems

Kessal's POV:

Kessal's POV:

Silence follows Zanna's words as we try to wrap our heads around what our friend had said. The kind of deafening silence that seems to eat away at itself and grow bigger and wider until you can't see past it. The kind of silence that hints at thousands of unspoken words that remains that way in fear of what repercussions they'll bring. And I know why we feel it now.

Because like it or not - and whether or not we'll accept them - Zanna's words had shocked us all. Because if what she said was true then not only Dana and Kalli's lives changed but mine and Braeden's as well, if what she said about us both being other than wolves was true. If that was true. Because on some subconscious level I was holding onto the hope that she was wrong. Never mind that she was a blend of mermaid, faery and angel and had been using all her magic to make the prediction she'd just said. Never mind that she'd said it without flinching or joking. Because by holding onto that hope, that fragile flicker of hope, I could pretend that it wasn't true. That it couldn't be true.

"A-are you sure that's true Zan?" My beautiful mate asks and I see her shiver where I hold her closer to try and stop the shivers, suddenly fearful after having seen what happened the last time she and her cousin lost control. The ground-shaking tremors. The storm. The lightning and thunder. The lights. The unstable lashes of power that I remember even back at the packhouse before my life imploded I could still feel like a psychic echo. A cold flame that burned me alive from the inside and made controlling myself difficult until she got it under control. Either that or she fainted. "Are you sure that's what you saw Zan? 100%?" She shivers again and I keep hold of her to try and ground her when her eyes shadow over with a moonstone blue sheen that blends seamlessly with the other colours in her eyes. Hiding in plain sight.

But her tone seems stronger and the blue colour dimmed enough that Alex can relax his vigilance over Lana where the other wolf had been pacing around like a caged animal, her eyes shining as Kalli's had done before I'd managed to help her control it. Though strangely when she did so I felt something spark inside me as a blinding flash of pain sparks in my shoulder that doesn't bear my Litha Moon mark. Inhaling sharply in shock I see Kalli sit up and watch me with concerned eyes but I know she can't tell what's going on with me since she keeps frowning.

What's wrong babe? Talk to me. I can't help if you don't talk to me. Me and Lana both if you and Alex keep quiet. She tries to reach me the way I've done countless times before but her words do little to combat the pain that feels like someone's run over me with their magic and is trying to push or imprint something into my skin. No. The pain goes deeper than that.

Starting there it seems to originate as surface pain before burrowing deeper into me the way a newly applied supernatural mark would but that's impossible. I hadn't had another mark applied to my skin and I wasn't Marking Kalli so that wasn't it either. Sitting up fully where I'd been resting against the trunk of an old oak tree I feel Kalli slip out of my arms slightly so she's sat next to me with a supportive hand on my shoulder where I'd been forced to draw my knees into my chest to try and hold the pain inside.