Chapter 52: See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil

Kessal's POV:

Kessal's POV:

I don't know exactly when I felt the pull start. One minute I'd been playing around with Braeden, our wolves fighting finally returning to full strength from the moonstone power damage a few days before, and the next Alex howled in my head, a low mournful sound that tears at me. Whining a word urgently.

Mate, sad. Mate needs us. Now. Halting in what I'd been doing, I'm almost knocked off my feet when I got an image of my Kalli sitting in a small dark alcove with her cousin, tears streaming down her face. Sitting with her knees drawn into her chest, hands around them the images of her parents, aunt and uncle's deaths played on a loop inside her tortured mind like a broken record. Mate needs us, Alex reminds me soberly and I nod, shaking off my fur and taking off, surrendering control over to my wolf in the hopes that he can get us there faster than I can.

Opposite me Braeden stopped at the same time I did, his eyes lost in thought before both of us simultaneously set off running towards the palace. Both were drawn by the mournful calling of a mate's wolf in pain who needed us more than we knew. And both praying that we'd make it there in time to be able to save them from the horror that was coming. So we could keep them safe and make sure we could be there for them before it got out of control. Before we were too late.

But no matter how hard we tried or how fast we ran we still were. We're too late.

Eris's POV:

I have been sitting by my phone all day. A bad feeling has nagged me in the pit of my stomach since I woken up. Like an itch under the skin that you can't scratch but can feel anyway. Niggling at me all day until at last, the phone rang.

Seeing Hunter's name listed on the caller ID I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding as I answered the phone, more than eager to ask him about the strange feeling I'd been putting up with all day. Breathing a sigh of relief I unlock the phone and answer as chirpily as possible. "Hunter? I was just about to-"

But he's not the one who answers me. In fact for a few seconds, no one does. But then I hear a voice on the other end. A tearful, shaken voice that does little more than confirm my bad feeling. It's Mara. "E-Eris?" Mara's voice is thick and shaky. Tears damn up her throat as she tries to push the word out. "Eris, you need to come back to the palace now. S-something's-s-s h-h-happened-d-d." Her words get shakier the minute and I can hear steady, soft crying behind her. But she manages to pull herself together enough to speak one last time, though upon hearing the pain in her voice and the words I wish she hadn't "You need to come back. There's.....there's been an accident. And we need you."

Silence passes again, bar the sound of crying before the line goes dead a few seconds later and I'm left clutching my phone like a lifeline, tears already dripping down my cheeks as a part of me realises what Mara was meaning. There's been an accident. You need to come back. We need you. And then there was the crying. A sound that I knew only because I'd spent so much time with the two since they were hours old. Just as I had with my daughter and the three's friends. Meaning that I could identify them easily. Kalli and Dana.