Chapter 31: Capture

Becky's POV:

Becky's POV:

"Hello?" I called out with a frustrated sound when all that beamed back to me was silence. A deafening, thick silence that seemed to eat itself up the longer I left it without speaking. Not that I'd know what to say since I'd been following a bad feeling about Kalli and Dana before something else registered with me. Footsteps.

Someone was following me. That much my heightened senses could glean from the rustled sounds occurring behind me but I couldn't say what or who it was since part of me wanted to look over my shoulder but the larger part of me - the one that was linked to self-preservation - warned me that was a bad idea. That it would be a course of action best left to the last resort. I keep trying to walk, knowing that even though I was inside the palace none of its inhabitants would do that to me. Rosa, Hunter, Ash, Leila and the others know what happens when I get jumpy and wouldn't do that, especially since I think they all feel they owe me for saving them last round we played this accursed game.

But I also know Ciara and Willow wouldn't do it either, and not just because we're related and they're angels. I know they wouldn't since they're close to Rosa so she would have told them what happened. Not that I blame her, hate her or hold it against her since she was like a big sister to me when I was violently pulled into this world and all she did was care. Care and look after me the way a big sister would, even though it meant risking her life. Something I'll never be able to repay her for, no matter what she thinks.

"HELLO? IS ANYONE THERE?" I shout again when the footsteps increase in tempo and I stop, wheeling around to see that there was no one and nothing there behind me. "Stupid paranoia," I grumble to myself, scowling and rolling my eyes as I turned back to follow where I'd been going to find Ash, Leila, Hunter and Rosa since Eris had gone back. So had the witches, wolves and other people. Besides those staying here and Ciara and Willow since Rosa had offered them sanctuary here and they'd agreed since they wanted to meet me properly and spend time with her since they hadn't seen her since she'd been taken years ago and dragged into this. "HELLO?" I call again but the footsteps just mock me with silence where they'd started again.

Real funny you guys, I quipped nervously to the other four, not feeling any response from them. Odd. Maybe they weren't the cause of the footsteps I could hear still following me. Gaining on me where I'd slowed down not once but twice. Seriously. Ash if this is you I'm not finding it funny. Nor if it's you Rosa or any of you. Can you stop? I try asking them again but still, nothing beams back to me other than that silence. A suffocating blanket of it that seems to eat up even the smallest of sounds like a vacuum that has me feeling on edge enough that my wings burst out, shadowing the room in their creamy glow that seems to reflect the light like mirrors. Seriously you guys, stop it. I try again but nothing happens besides the footsteps coming back.

"NOT FUNNY!" I holler over my shoulder as I turn my head enough to see a figure opposite me now, standing at the edge of the corridor shaded in shadows so I could barely make out if they were male or female. I sigh when the figure doesn't move and try to figure out how to explain to them how messed up they were being right now. "Seriously whoever you are just go away."